xliv. surprise?

another two weeks had passed and now harlow had finished up her first semester of university. she had been busy for those two weeks studying for her finals, so she had successfully avoided having the conversation with colby that she was dreading.

but she knew that she couldn't put it off forever. especially now that she had no more excuses as to why she couldn't meet up with the boy. so harlow managed to muster up the courage to recite the speech that she had been rehearsing in her bedroom to colby. she had been practicing what she was going to say to him because she didn't want to leave something important out. it was probably going to be the last time that harlow was with colby, at least for a while, so what she said mattered even more.

harlow knew she didn't want to beat around the bush either - because she had been for the past few weeks and she was dead tired of it. so she intended on saying what needed to be said the minute she entered colby's apartment.

but it didn't end up working like that at all.

harlow was on her way up to colby's apartment when she first heard the noise. it was pretty loud in the hallway and initially, harlow assumed that sam had people over at his place next door. but the sound wasn't coming from sam's apartment. as harlow got closer to the door, she realized the music and chatter was coming from behind colby's door.

she was confused, and her stomach was quite literally churning at the thought of people in colby's apartment. it was just meant to be a night in for harlow and colby. if there were people there with them, she wouldn't be able to talk to colby until after they had all left. ultimately putting off the conversation that she desperately wanted to have.

as harlow continued down the hall, her phone lit up indicating she had a new message.

2 new messages from COLE🐝 !

COLE🐝

hey are u almost here?

i need cuddles 🥺

HARLZZ

walking down the hall now

by this point, harlow was a mere thirty steps away from the door. she could hear a very loud shush, and then suddenly the hall was quiet. great, harlow thought. he's throwing me a fucking surprise party.

she stood outside the door to colby's apartment, debating on if she should just knock or go in unannounced. either way, she had a strong feeling of what was going to be waiting for her on the other side.

harlow decided against knocking, twisting the handle and pushing the door open. the minute she stepped inside, her friends jumped out from behind corners and counters, shouting "surprise bitch!"

the situation was anything but funny. harlow had been planning on breaking up with colby that night, and their surprise was kind of ruined by how loud they had been as harlow was walking through the hall. despite all this, harlow couldn't help but laugh. and she was glad she laughed because most of her friends had their phones trained on her.

although she was laughing, she was still incredibly confused as to why her friends were shouting surprise in the first place. last she checked, she hadn't done anything incredible and it wasn't her birthday. "what's going on?" she asked, confusion laced in her voice.