xlii. the stars

ever since harlow had confessed to elton that she and colby were together, things in her life had been near perfect. harlow's semester was winding down, so she found herself having more free time. sometimes it was spent having a girls' day with devyn, kat, and tara, or sometimes it was spent just lounging around at sam's with their group. mostly, it was spent with colby.

the two spent saturday nights driving down rodeo drive in colby's shitty little car, with the windows rolled all the way down and the music blasted. harlow found herself spending more and more nights at colby's apartment, so much so, that she had a spare toothbrush in his bathroom. their mornings after their sleepovers were spent in bed, half-dressed and half asleep. days when harlow had classes, she'd sit at the back of the lecture hall and text colby memes, trying her best not to giggle when he would send memes back. even on days when harlow had assignments she had to complete, colby was still around. he'd follow the girl to the library, sitting across from her, answering emails.

he'd follow her just about anywhere. just about.

colby had slowly started suggesting that instead of going to the beach to sit on the hood of harlow's jeep and smoke, that they just stay at colby's apartment. instead of going out to get ice cream, he would suggest that they have it postmated instead. harlow had asked for colby to take her to six flags at least five times and he always had a different reason as to why he couldn't. i have an important meeting, or it'll be too busy, or we should wait until everyone can go with us.

so it was near perfect for harlow, because all she wanted to do was show colby off to the world, but he didn't want to do the same with her.

but she was still incredibly happy. still so in love with the blue-eyed boy to the point where she didn't really care if all he wanted to do was watch movies and snuggle on the couch. because at least she was with her love.

today was one of harlow's free days. she had her morning class, and usually, afterward, she'd be holed up in her dorm working on assignments, but she didn't have many left. colby was out at his office because he and sam had a few phone meetings. so harlow had decided that since sam was busy too, she would spend the day with kat.

the two girls were currently sitting in harlow's jeep, parked outside of the nail salon they had just been in. she and kat had been going back and forth with what they could do for the rest of the day. "we could always go for lunch," harlow suggested.

"true," kat agreed, "should i text dev and see if she wants to meet us for lunch?"

harlow nodded, "yeah, sure."

"okay, i'll tell her to meet us there." kat was acting a bit strange, but harlow just shrugged it off.

the duo ended up choosing a restaurant off of hollywood boulevard, so they could go shopping after they ate lunch. devyn met them at the restaurant about ten minutes after they arrived, sitting across from harlow. the girls chatted, ordered their lunch, and then when the bill came and went, they remained sitting and gossiping.

"what do you think i should do, dev?" harlow asked, turning her attention to the brown-haired girl. harlow had been complaining to the two about colby and how he is turning into a homebody more as each day passes. "i just feel like he doesn't want to go anywhere with me."

devyn laughed a little, then took a sip of her drink. "i don't know, harls. colby has always kind of been that way."

harlow sighed and rolled her eyes. "well he's even more now than when i first met him. i mean, all i want is to go for ice cream once in a while," devyn shrugged. she picked at her nails in silence, avoiding harlow's eyes. "okay, i've known you for long enough now that i know you're avoiding telling me something."