xxxii. basic move

it had been about a week and a half since harlow had confessed her feelings to colby, and the two were constantly together. despite this, they were rarely ever alone. harlow had a tendency of going over to colby's house, because she felt she was outgrowing her tiny dorm, and it's extremely rare for his house to be empty.

so it usually ended up being whoever was around hanging out as a group. even when harlow and colby would sneak away, someone, somehow, would find them. this led to colby going on campus with harlow, especially when she needed to work on an assignment. but no matter how late the two went to the library or one of harlow's study spots, there was still always people around.

but this particular night was one of the rare moments that the two got to spend together, just the two of them. it had worked out that all of colby's roommates had plans that got them out of the house.

harlow was currently sat on the floor leaning against the couch in colby's room, watching as he ordered panda express for the two. "what are you getting?" harlow asked while playing with the string of her sweater.

"are you joking?" colby asked sarcastically without even looking up from his phone. "obviously orange chicken,"

harlow rolled her eyes, "such a basic move, but ok"

"watch me delete your food off this order,"

harlow laughed at the boy who was so easily annoyed. "someone's hangry. can you place this order for asap?"

harlow glanced over at colby, who was sprawled out on the bed. he held his middle finger up towards harlow, eliciting a laugh from the girl. "can we go watch netflix now?" harlow asked, moving to sit on the couch. "i'm ready to be spooked,"

colby laughed, "harley, normal people like to watch christmas movies during the holidays, not the haunting of hill house."

"sue me," harlow replied sarcastically.

after only a few minutes of whining and persuading, colby and harlow were sat downstairs ready to watch the haunting of hill house. colby was sat with his legs spread out in front of him, and harlow was sat with her feet tucked underneath his legs.

the house was perpetually hot, but harlow would never be caught sitting on a couch without a blanket. she pulled the blanket up to her chin, readying herself to hide behind it during any scary part. "i'm kinda regretting this decision," harlow admitted, inching herself closer to colby.

"well, we can watch something else you know,"

"yeah but we're gonna watch this," harlow stated as confidently as she could.

she wasn't typically one for anything horror related, but she had signed up for a horror english class. harlow would have rather taken children's lit, mostly because she heard the professor assigns harry potter as one of the readings, but of course, it had filled up before she had the chance to enroll. it was either horror lit, or a class dedicated to chaucer. out of those two options, horror lit seemed slightly better.

the first novel they had to read was shirley jackson's the haunting of hill house, so it seemed fitting that she watched the television show too. "it's technically school work,"

colby grinned at the girl who was much closer to him than when the two sat down, "or i could just tell you what happens and then you don't have to watch it,"

instead of answering him, harlow grabbed the controller from colby's hands and began playing the first episode. throughout the episode harlow held the blanket at her nose, using it as her shield. she was more so creeped out than scared until colby started pausing the episode so harlow could see the figures standing in the back of the shots.