xxiv. death had a child

harlow woke the following morning, momentarily questioning her surroundings once again. she lifted her head slightly, to find that she was once again at the boy's house. the last time she woke in this house harlow found colby's arm wrapped tightly around her torso, and she was relieved to not be snuggled against the boy for a second time.

instead of colby snuggled beside her, kat was on one side and devyn on the other. harlow laid back down, staring up at the ceiling in an attempt to remember the end of the night, and why she was still at the house.

harlow struggled to put together the pieces, only remembering bits and pieces of the night before. only a few minutes passed before harlow heard shuffling in the kitchen.

"is anyone awake?" sam half-whispered from the entry to the room.

harlow raised her hand in the air, not wanting to disturb the girls.

"want coffee?" sam asked, moving towards the lovesac.

this time, harlow raised both hands in the air. sam chuckled, grabbing both hands and pulling her up from between the two sleeping girls. "thanks," she replied.

harlow moved to the mirror, wanting to assess the damage. her makeup had been removed, and her hair was messy from sleep. she was wearing a pair of sweats and a t-shirt, different from her last sleepover at the house. harlow made her way back into the kitchen, where sam was sat on the counter with a cup in his hands.

"so, what happened last night?" harlow asked, gesturing to her clothes. she couldn't even remember changing.

sam laughed, "i kinda figured this would happen. what's the last thing you remember?"

harlow sat at the small table, thinking back to the night. she remembered getting water in the kitchen, but she couldn't remember actually drinking it. she then remembered jake managing to convince the girl to play him in pong. "i remember pong. i remember missing lots of shots."

"yeah, basically all of them." sam replied, sipping his drink. "he actually beat you in four back-to-back games. then you and kat started doing shots, and you were basically gone by that point. it was actually really funny to watch. you're way crazier when you're drunk."

harlow mentally facepalmed. "oh god, what did i do?"

"nothing really terrible, you and kat did a performance on the kitchen island."

harlow's jaw fell open, "are you joking?"

sam laughed, "it honestly wasn't that bad! but you did yack in the plants outside,"

harlow rubbed her temples, staring at the table. "that's so fucking embarrassing. i'm so sorry,"

"don't be. it was funny. plus it was basically at the end of the night so there wasn't a lot of people around." sam paused to take a drink. "and don't worry, elton was long gone by that point."

harlow sat back in the chair. "damn. i'm never drinking again."

"i've heard that before," sam replied, passing a mug her way. "never actually happens."

"you'd believe me if you felt my headache right now." harlow replied. "literally feels like twenty little jackhammers going to town."

sam laughed, pushing himself onto his feet. "i'll go get you tylenol."

harlow took a big sip of her coffee. "you're a godsend,"

eventually, devyn and katrina woke up and made their way into the kitchen, sitting around the small table with harlow. "someone's up early," devyn said to harlow.