Chapter Twenty-One

After a long awkward silence and me trying to learn the streets we went down, we finally arrived at a little restaurant. It was a little Coney Island.

"Don't do anything, please. I honestly shouldn't have to beg, I am in charge. Which is why it would be smart of you to stay out of trouble. Understood?"

"Yeah."

We open our doors and I walk to Matt.

"Okay, let's go."

We walk into the Coney Island which has a 60's theme going. Everything is black and white checkered with red lights and even the waitresses look like they took place in Grease. We take a seat in the back at a couples table. I look down trying to avoid eye contact. I finally crack and look up at Matt who is looking the other way.

His eyes are at a tv that is playing the football game. I roll my eyes and look the other way. But thinking about it, I'm happy he is focused on something else. This is a good chance.

"I need to use the restroom."

He stops and looks at me with distrust.

"Hurry up and go. If you're not back in two minutes, I'm going in there and dragging you out. I wouldn't try anything, I guess you could say I always know where you are."

He lightly giggles and looks back at the tv. I stand up and follow down the path to the restroom. I make it to the bathroom and automatically search for any windows. There's one that's really high, but I know I won't fit in it... Damn.

I walk to the mirror and look at the same sad face as before. Dark circles are forming around my pale eyes. I turn the cold water on and rinse my face off. Why do I look so lifeless? So dead. I think I'll go to sleep early tonight. My eyes begin to water and I know that I need to stop. Something doesn't feel the same though. I feel empty.

Oh death. Honestly, that doesn't sound so bad at the moment. The blissful feeling to drift off. I would do anything to die. But what if I were to escape? Or if I even had a chance. I would disappoint mother to give up so easily. She only has me left. Ever since my dad killed himself, she's kept everything to herself. He was living happily at the time. No one has any idea on why he would do something like that. It all happened two months before I was born.

I never got to meet my father, so I can't say it affected me like my mother. I can't help but feel that I am why he did it. My mother was depressed for so long and I was too young to help. The memories do hurt and I wish to have met the man I would call father.

I snap back to reality and that is something I wish I wasn't in. I grab some toilet paper and wipe my face off. I hear loud and fast knocking already knowing who it is.

"Elizabeth?"

I sigh. I just want to be alone.

"Yeah, I'm in here."

I walk to the door and open it to see Matt looking panicked. He began walking away and I followed like the dog I might as well be. We make it to the table and relax ourselves.

"I already ordered. I ordered lunch though. We both get double bacon cheeseburgers and some fries."

I can't help but laugh. This is weird. Almost as if he has always stalked me.

"I always buy that from Coney Island. Weird that you chose it. How long have you been watching me?"

"Only about a month. Never seen you go anywhere except school and home. Except your boyfriends house that last time. I can't believe he cheated though. I feel that you're too good for him. He isn't even that attractive."

Well that was random. And now the awkward silence is piercing into me and I feel sick. Great.

"He's an idiot who deserves nothing but sweet death. And I would do anything to end his pathetic life."

Is Matt jealous or something? No, of course not.

"He isn't that bad. Just bad decisions."

"No, there is no excuse for cheating. He broke your heart and caused you to get in an accident. If I were you, I would have killed him the moment I found out. You need to know that he is a piece of shit. Don't ever think what he did was okay. It wasn't."

"Okay."

The silence was back and I kept my mouth shut. Silence sounds beautiful. But honestly, when is there absolute silence? The sound of others talking and the plates crashing and the football game on. That is what silence is right now. Anything that doesn't involve either Matt or me speaking.