Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

     "Niall has rewarded me for bringing you here." Arik's eyes were bright and happy, "Helga is returning."

     Ro's hands shot to her mouth as she gasped, "Arik...oh my goodness Arik!" The human took the few steps left between them and threw her arms around his waist. She held him close. "I'm so happy. I'm so happy for you." Ro's smile felt awkward on her face. It had been so long since she had been in such high spirits. When Ro felt Arik's body brace itself she realized that she had hugged him without thinking. She quickly drew back, "I...I'm sorry. I was just so happy I didn't mean to-"

     "It is alright." Arik's words were hard, "I am joyous as well."

     "When is she coming?"

     "I know not."

     "I can't wait for her to get here." Ro smiled brightly.

     Arik saw beauty in her happiness. There was so much darkness and uncertainty surrounding her and somehow she managed to find joy in his. It was selfless. Human. Ro's green eyes were wide and lively. Beautiful. You care for this woman. Shea's words were burning in Arik's mind. Yes. He did care for Ro. He cared for her safety and her future. Seven days had felt like so much longer given the elements that they had faced together. He had seen her grow into something strong and wild and he found magnificence in that. Shea had always been a fearless creature. It was a different thing to see such a frightened timid thing change into something resilient.

     Ro's happy face faded.

     "What is wrong?" The Halfling asked.

     Ro shook her head, "It's nothing."

     Arik knew better. He knew the look of pain, "Is your burn aching?"

     "No...my ribs. Sometimes they still hurt, but it's getting better every day."

     "Let me see." Arik's face was grim.

     In a normal world Ro would have never taken her shirt off in front of a man. But this wasn't a normal world. This was a realm of magic. And Arik wasn't a man. He was a Halfling. Ro slowly lifted her shirt over her head to reveal the bandages that wrapped around her waist. She would have felt naked if it were not for the bra-like undergarment that she was wearing. Arik's eyes scanned the bandages. They needed to be changed.

     "When was the last time you dressed your ribs?"

     "Two days ago."

     "Where are the materials?"

     Ro pulled out the drawer of the small table beside her bed. Arik saw the plant-based bandages and pins. He pulled them out of the drawer and instructed Ro to take off the old wrappings. Ro began to undo the pins when she grumbled in complaint. Arik knew that she was still so sore. It was expected. But as the bandages were moved and skin was exposed he saw the faded bruises across her abdomen. Her once sound skin was plastered with pale yellow and light purple blemishes.  It was like a watercolor painting only there was no beauty in it. Only anger.

     "Have you taken a tonic for pain?" Arik asked as he helped her to remove the last of the bandaging.

     "I have been making a fire berry tonic, but I have not taken it today."

     "See that you do so."

     Arik placed his fingers on Ro's ribs and felt for swelling. There was a slight bulge on her left side. Arik turned her around. Her backside was fine. She was healing well. Aside from the permanent scar that she received from the iron blade. A discoloration on Ro's shoulder caught the Halfling's attention. A small dark blemish that resembled a bird. Arik stroked a finger over it.