Chapter Nineteen

"Annika!" Ro shook the little girl vigorously. "Annika! Wake up!"

Ro didn't understand what had happened. She thought that the Sprites had eaten the little girl's soul, but she was still breathing. Ro knew that she needed to go back for Arik, but she couldn't leave Annika alone. Ro shook her again and called out her name, but it went unanswered. Ro cursed under her breath. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know where she was and she didn't know if Annika or Arik would survive.

Ro held the little girl tightly against her chest and began to rock back and forth. She wanted her Grams there with her. She would have known what to do or at least she would have known what to say to her to make her feel better. Grams was always so good at encouraging her. Even at the end. I know that you are going to go through some hard times and have to deal with things that you haven't had to before, but I believe in you. Yes, her grandmother believed in her. Ro just needed to believe in herself.

Ro pulled away from Annika and looked down at her, "You're going to be okay." She whispered to her as her tears fell unto Annika's face. "I promise."

"Ro!"

Ro looked towards Arik's scream. He had said her name before, but it hadn't been like that. It was with desperation in his voice. Ro watched as the Halfling bolted through the trees. Ro was unaware that new life had been breathed into him, but she knew that he was no longer injured. He moved swiftly. His scraps were gone and Ro could no longer see the bruises on his bare chest. It was a miracle. A miracle that she didn't understand, but she was so thankful that he was okay.

"Arik!" Ro cried, "Please help her! I don't know what to do!"

Arik was by Ro's side in an instant. He placed his hand on the little girl's forehead, "Her body burns." Arik jumped to his feet and ran to the stallion. He quickly rummaged through the saddle bag. He pulled out his fur lined jacked and ran back to the passed out little girl. "We need to swelter it out."

"Is she going to be alright?" Ro's voice cracked when she spoke.

"I will do all that I can for her." Arik promised as he wrapped the jacket around Annika. "Let us move now." Arik lifted the girl from the ground and headed towards the horses.

Ro did not get up. She stayed on the ground and stared down at the place in the grass that was folded over from Annika's tiny body. She was just a child. She had her whole life left to live. Ro shook her head. It wasn't a life that anyone would willingly choose. If Annika survived she would only be living to serve others. It wouldn't be a life worth living.

"Maybe it's better this way." Ro whispered.

Arik turned from the mare that he had just laid the girl on, "You think it better if she were dead?"

Ro nodded and watched as her tears formed small beads as they slid down random blades of grass.

Arik approached her slowly, "Are you not the one who speaks to me of the value of humans?"

"That isn't what I'm saying!" Ro lifted her head exposing her reddened eyes and cheeks to the Halfling, "What kind of life will she have? She was the daughter of a prostitute! What hope does she have not to follow in her footsteps?! I don't want that for her! I would rather see her die than have to live a life like that!"

Arik stood over the human now, "Then end it." Arik held one of his daggers out to her.

"What?!" Ro was shocked.

"If you truly believe that her life is not worth living then end it." Arik's words were serious.

Ro got to her feet, "You know that I can't do that!"