Chapter Ten

Ro's body shuttered as the guards closed the door behind her. Her eyes were locked on Alston as he sat behind a desk looking over a map of some kind. He didn't make eye contact with her, but instead kept looking down at the map and listening for the guards to be out of ear shot. Ro let out a small breath hoping that she didn't seem as afraid as she truly was. When Alston stood from his desk, Ro took an instinctive step backwards. Her body was telling her to run. She knew that what Alston planned for her had to be worse than anything Vardon could do.

Alston walked around his desk and sat against the front of it. His palms were face down on the surface and his blue eyes stared at the roaring fire across the room from him. Alston's presence was powerful. His silver hair fell freely against his shoulders and shined when he cocked his head to look at her. Without his black fur cloak she could see how big and muscular he truly was. A beast among men. All the Fairies were.

"You have no reason to be afraid." He told her softly.

Ro knew that was a lie. She could feel the warmth from the fire that had heated the branding iron. She remembered the pain and the scream that she had let out. Just seeing the Fairy before her sent her body into a state of panic. After what Vardon had done to her. After seeing slavery first had. The people in the village. At the auction. So much pain and suffering. Fear would always be her companion in the Fae Realm.

So Ro ignored his words, "Please, sir, I would like to know why I am here."

Alston pushed himself from the desk, "Aurora do you not remember me?"

Ro nodded her head, "I do, Commander Alston. You were the one who bought me at the auction."

Alston drew his eye brows together, "Do you take me for a fool? Did you think that I would not recognize you?"

Ro shook her head, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Aurora...your hair may be darker, but I know you. I remember you. How could I forget?"

Ro looked at Alston with confusion in her eyes, "You have me mistaken for someone else."

There was a knock at the door and Alston looked up at it. He said something in the Fairy language and the door opened. Ro turned to see a beautiful silver haired woman walk through the door. Her hair was in a long braid that hung over her shoulder. Her crystal like blue eyes were staring with disbelief at Ro as she entered the room. Ro sensed that there was something different about her. She wasn't like Gala. She seemed kind and tender hearted. Ro didn't understand why she got that feeling.

The woman closed the door and slowly pressed her back against it, "Aurora..." She said under her breath. "Aurora... is that truly you?" She took a step towards Ro.

"Nila." Alston said firmly, "Why are you here?"

Nila looked up at Alston, "I heard tales." She swallowed. "I came to ask you about them." She looked back at Ro. "I wanted to know for myself...I did not think that she would be here with you."

"Whom have you heard these tales from?" Alston's voice was strong and commanding.

"Alston, why do you fret?" Nila asked him.

"Excuse me..." Ro interrupted speaking to Nila, "How do you know me?"

Nila's face looked as if Ro had slapped her, "You do not remember me?"

"Enough of this game, Aurora." Alston took a step closer. "Tell me how you have come to be here."

"Commander Alston...I'm so sorry, but I don't know what is going on."