Chapter Twenty-Four

When Ro opened her eyes she didn't see Arik lying beside her. She saw the ashes of a dead fire in the dim light of the early morning. As she sat up she realized that Annika was not on the other side of it. She whipped her head behind her and nearly gasped in horror at the sight of the ten Tempest Halflings mounted on horseback. Annika was mounted on the mare that was now tied to the back of one of the Halfling's horses. Arik stood in front of the Fae and spoke to him plainly. The little girl looked scared and uncertain as she listened to the Fae creatures speak in their language that she didn't understand. But Ro understood.

Every word.

"Kishim and Pluik both fell to the Boggarts." The Halfling on the horse held his shoulders back as he reported to Arik. His light blonde hair was tied back from his face and his violet and dark blue eyes shining in the sunlight. "Shea was injured and has still not woken from her injuries. The healers seemed to have exercised all that they can."

Arik's eyes grew dark and Ro felt the slight tinge of fear coming from him. Ro didn't know who Shea was, but it was someone who Arik cared for. The feeling of fear snapped away and Ro knew that Arik was focused on something else. "Any signs of the Ember Court?"

"Nothing."

Arik looked over his shoulder, "Orin." Another Halfling on horseback locked eyes with Arik, "The woman shall ride with you."

"Yes, commander."

Ro's eyes were wide as the Halfling dismounted and started towards her. She knew that although she desperately wanted to, she couldn't run. She wasn't sure why Arik didn't want her to ride with him, but she knew that she couldn't ask. Orin stood over her now. His violet eye wasn't glowing, but Ro could still tell that he was bitter towards her. Orin's dark hair was braided back and his green eye reminded her of her own. The Halfling reached down and dragged her up by her elbow. He spoke to her in English telling her to stand up, but it was his own strength that got her to her feet. He led her to his horse and all but threw her on top of it. She thought that Arik might say something about the foul treatment, but he never breathed a word. He did not so much as even glance her way.

Orin mounted the horse behind her and told her to stay put. Ro wasn't planning on escape. She knew that her fate was sealed no matter how far she ran. Ro listened as Arik addressed all of the Halflings at once. From what Ro could gather from the lengthy conversation, the Boggarts had attacked the southern border of the Court and they had lost two soldiers. With only one critically injured. It was then that they were informed about Aurora and why the Frostfall Court wanted her. King Niall had sent out the group of Halflings to meet Arik to aid him in case of any ambushes. He wanted Aurora in his possession no matter what it took.

Arik told the Halflings about the Dragon and the threat of the Ember Court. Ro sensed a wave of tension as they spoke about the Ember King and his powerful armies. They decided that it was best to move quickly and stick to the deeper parts of the woods. Ro looked at Annika. She had no idea what was being said. All she knew was that Arik was no longer speaking to her and that she was being taken away by several strange Halflings.

"Annika, everything is okay." Ro spoke in German and the little girl's thin lips turned up into a half smile.

"Quiet." Orin's breath was on the back of Ro's neck and she dare not turn around to see his face.

Arik mounted his stallion and took his position at the front of the group and the rest of the Halflings followed without a word. Ro tensed up as the horse underneath her moved forward. Orin reached around her to hold the reins and the closeness of the stranger made her sick. She hated the feeling of his body against her back every time the horse stumbled. And she hated feeling the rumble in his chest when he laughed while talking to the two Halflings that rode beside them.