Chapter Six

Ro felt hot as she opened her eyes. The last sensation she felt was the cold encasing her. She didn't remember the horse or the Fairy that had showed her rare kindness. She just remembered falling and the snow and the cold. She had never been so cold. Now she was burning up. She could hear the fire roaring before she opened her eyes. She could see the flames dancing across the room from her. She was lying on a bed. She sat up and noticed that it was more of a cot and there were three more just like it in the small room with one window.

The room was stone, no marble. It was a marble room with a rug in the middle that was well worn. She sat up in bed. She noticed that there were folded up clothes at the foot of it. She was still in her tattered clothing and was more than thankful for the change of clothes. She dressed quickly not sure when someone would walk through the wooden door. She had been given a white long sleeve shirt that felt thicker and softer than cotton and a pair of coal black pants that hugged her legs giving them shape. There was a pair of fur-lined boots beside the bed that she slipped on with a slight smile. The felt nice and warm. She knew that she would have to enjoy the small things in her life like this.

Ro had sat back down on the bed for only a moment when the door opened. A woman with a long black braid walked in. As she toss her hair over her shoulder, Ro noticed that the woman wore clothing similar to what she was wearing. Her eyes were a dull brown. Her skin was bronzed. She looked as though she lived in sunlight. Ro assumed that she was in her mid-forties, but looked older because of the conditions. Ro gave her a slight smile in greeting, but the woman didn't respond with one.

"You are the American?" The woman asked with a heavy Hispanic accent.

"Yes, I'm Ro." Ro extended her hand, "It's nice to meet you."

The woman shook her hand lightly, "Rosa." She folded her arms across her chest. "I have been told you are new to the realm. However, that will not be an excuse. You will work hard for me."

"Doing what exactly?" Ro asked with fear lacing her voice. She just prayed and wished that it was anything, but being a courtesan. She wouldn't be able to handle that. There was no way she would be mentally strong enough. She had no idea how Natalie and Brianna were still able to smile and laugh about the things that they had done. Listening to their stories had made her stomach turn. Her skin was beginning to feel clammy at the thought, when Rosa spoke again.

"I am a trainer. I work with the animals. You will be under me. Cleaning after them. Feeding them." Rosa explained.

Relief rushed through Ro's entire body. She pressed her hand hard against her pounding heart. Cleaning up after animals. That was all she had to do. How had she had gotten so lucky? So blessed? She breathed in a heavy audible sigh.

Rosa approached her slowly her eyes cold, "Do not think this to be an easy task. I expect perfection."

Ro nodded, "I understand. I'm grateful to you."

"It was not my doing." Rosa said flatly. "Follow me." She turned on her heels and Ro followed her through the doorway.

The west wing of the castle wasn't very colorful or grand. It was lined with the rooms of other servants with unlit torches between each of the doors. The heels of their boots clicked against the marble floor and the sound echoed down the hallway. They seemed to be the only ones in the wing. Ro wasn't sure how long she had been passed out, but she knew it was late afternoon by the way the sun looked. She didn't think that Rosa would be taking her out to the animals now, but she didn't know. They eventually made it to a staircase. They walked down three flights of stairs before they reached the bottom and Ro's legs sure felt it.