Chapter 5

It's finally here. After months of planning, and making sure I was happy with how it was done, Chapter 5 is here Thank you for your patience, I'm hoping to get this out at a better pace now that I know exactly where the story is going. Hopefully I didn't lose those of you enjoying it.

Enjoy!

***

I sit on the bed, staring at Gabriel intently. I expect both good and bad news. Andrew and Melisa haven't seemed to notice that he was here. Not yet at least. His expression is grim, which means I might not get any good news at all. He stands tall next to the window, his shadow towering a little behind him because of the moonlight, making him seem more intimidating than he usually is. His suit is neat and clean, as always, and his hair is slicked back instead of having the front spiked a bit.

"I figured I'd just get to the point." Gabriel says. "We know why the demons need the girl."

"Okay, great." I say. "Now let's just keep her out of their reach. Easy."

Gabriel's expression remains serious and surprisingly grim. "Angel, we need to kill her."

I stand up at this moment, my heart racing. "What?"

Gabriel takes a defensive step backwards. He seems ready to fight if he has to. No, more like he was expecting one from the beginning, but I won't give in. I'm almost certain I'd lose that fight.

"We have no choice." He says, his tone calm. "It's either she dies, or everyone else does."

"Why do we need to kill her?" I ask. "You sent me and Beth to protect her."

"Now I'm resigning both of you." He seems too calm about all of this.

I, on the other hand, am not. "You aren't answering my question." My voice sounds like it's about to burst of frustration.

Gabriel sighs calmly. "It's her blood, we found out it can open a portal between earth and hell."

I stare at him confused. "How?"

His expression remains calm, no annoyance like the other times we talked. "We couldn't gain that information. All we know is that we need to kill her before something else gets to her." He walks towards the door, but I stop him. Now he shows some annoyance. "We have reason to believe the reapers are going to use her to unlock the gates to hell. We need to kill her, or they will take her, and end the world."

I spread my wings as an intimidation method, and stand my ground. "There can be another solution."

He stares me in the eyes, unaffected by my wings, which doesn't surprise me. "We have no time to discuss this. Remember, I'm only the messenger. Who do you think they would send to kill her if you don't oblige?"

I take a deep breath and retract my wings. "Michael." I feel as though my chest is about to break open. "I can't do it."

"Then maybe Beth-"

"Sorry, but no." Beth says, walking into the room. I think she was just about to enter. "Nice to see you, Gabriel."

Gabriel nods a greeting. "I wish it was on better terms."

"We aren't going to kill Melisa, and neither is Michael." She takes a few steps forward. "So, we are going to protect her."

I look at her, uncertain as to what to say, and she ignores me completely.

Gabriel's eyes remain serious, and set to hers like glue. "You're getting yourselves stuck in a fight you can't win. One that ends with the both of you, and the girl, dead. This is God's order."