Chapter 1

I stand in the hall, searching for the next person I need to protect. Melisa Clark, is her name. I am supposed to meet her during my first class but its best I find her now. I see a group of girls next to a locker but she isn't in there. I see a girl next to me but not her. Damn it. Maybe I should have grabbed the locker next to Melisa. I would have found her by now. If I hear that bell that means she is gone and I need to go get another person. You know what? Screw it, I'm going to ask around.

I turn to the girl next to me, "Excuse me do you know Melisa Clark?"

"Piss off." She says, then turns and leaves.

Harsh. I hear the bell ring. Time for class. At least now I will find her faster. Though I need to move fast if I want to get the desk next to her. My locker is right next to my English class. Thank god on that. I head inside. The class holds about twenty desk for twenty students. And there is a free desk right next to my girl. Her hair is a nice shade of red, with beautiful eyes, and body. She wears a pink t-shirt with blue jeans. I got a free period when she has gym so I can check her then. I just need to find out other things. Like, where she will be after school.

I take the seat next to her and place my book and binder on the table. The teacher sits at his desk, waiting for the class to settle. His hair is grey, he has a beard and has quite a few wrinkles on his face. He is quite buff for his age and has hair that goes down to his shoulders. It's well brushed, not a single curl. He wears a white, button-up shirt and beige pants. He also has a cane with an eagle for a handle. Cool. I look at his name on the desk. Mr. J. Williams.

Out of the corner of my eye I see the girl from the hall sit on the other side of Melisa. She is dressed in all leather, has short hair, a nose piercing and ear piercing. Her eyes have white contacts. At least, I hope those are contacts. She realizes who I am right away and leans over to whisper something in Melisa's ear. Melisa turns and is about to ask me something when Mr. Williams starts talking.

"Good morning class." He begins. His voice is a bit raspy. "I hope we are all doing well today. I see we have a new student in our presence." He points to me. "Would you like to introduce yourself?"

Everyone turns to me. Great, just what I needed. "Name's Angel." I say. I am fully aware of the irony but bear with me. I call the others, Guardians or Messengers and never use the term Angel other than now as my name. I continue, "I am 16 and from Arizona. My parents are big Buffy fans so that's where my name comes from." True yet also a lie at the same time.

"Interesting." Mr. Williams says. "You get into trouble in your last school, Angel?"

I killed a few students because they were Reapers, almost burnt the school down, and watched the boy I was protecting get burned alive. "No sir."

"Good. You will learn not to get in trouble around here. Trust me."

Trust me when I say that I will. "Got no plans of getting myself into trouble."

"Good. Now let's get into the lesson."

Melisa stares at me anxiously. Nervous of what her friend must have said. Just great, first day on the job and she is scared of me. The lesson goes normally. We get a bunch of grammar questions and a few quizzes. Nothing bad there. The bell rings and it's time for my free period. I get up and leave before Melisa can say anything to me. Mean, but I still find it best to make the least amount of contact possible. Basically, only make contact in class. Even that, I don't like. I know she has swimming so I am going to go sit in the bleachers and watch from a safe distance.

As I walk down the hall I bump into a guy wearing sunglasses, with a black hoodie and blond hair. He walks past me with a glance. I have a bad feeling about him. He had a few tough looking guys with him so I let it slide. I spot, for a sec, Melisa leave the class and look around. I turn and walk away, fast. Not in the mood for this. I reach the pool and go to the third row of the bleachers and sit down.