Scared of The Dark- Mamas Lullaby

I don't know how long I sat there, sitting against my bedroom door. But it must have been hours as the day became night and my room darkened. I jumped as someone knocked on my door.

"Yes?" I replied shakily.

"Hayden, Irina and Geroge are wondering if you wanted any dinner tonight?", It was Sarah.

"N-n-o thanks Sarah!", I stammered out through the door. I heard her mumble a reply and walk away. I sigh and get up. Then climb into bed.

I tossed and turned most of the night, it felt as if the dark was closing in on me. Every noise, making me jump. It was a strange experience for me being scared of the darkness. Even as a child I was never scared of any darkness. My dad would always tell me, 'My smart little girl', why smart instead of brave I will never know. I remember a lullaby my mother use to sing to me, telling me if I'm ever just slightly scared of the dark to sing it and the darkness will go away. Why I remember it is strange as I have never used it before but now I might just try it.

'Close your eyes and think of light,
Baby girl you will sleep tonight,
It might be dark but don't be scared,
'cause baby girl I'm right here,
So close your eyes and dream sweet dreams,
'cause you will know, I'm right here'

A tear slipped down my face as the darkness closed in because for the first time in my life I was truly terrified of the dark.