Foster Family Number 12- 2 Month Earlier

I sat in the car with Maggie, looking down the long road filled with big homely houses. Memories of times past pushing at my well built barriers. But I force them back because remembering only hurts everyone around me.

"Hayden sweetheart, you know I love you and have been here for you since you were 7 but I'm begging you, this is your last chance kiddo, the next place they will put you is some institution for troubled teens and I will no longer be able to help you". Maggie pleaded with me, but all I could do was stare down the street of houses.

I use to have a house like that, filled with laughter and happy memories. No! I can't remember, I just can't. I turned to Maggie with a sad smile and a nod.

"Hayden I don't think you understand sweetie, your 17 now and in half a year's time you will be 18 and then there is nothing I can do to help you" she stressed to me, but she didn't have to, I understood. I had to make this family work. It's only half a year, it can't be that hard. Right?

I turned to look at the house where an older lady stood with a kind smile and a wave. She stood by herself, but I knew she had a husband and two other foster children who where younger than me. I was the oldest they have ever fostered.

I unbuckled my seatbelt with a sigh and got out Maggie's car, with Maggie right behind me. I throw my duffel bag over my shoulder which holds all my life possessions and walk cautiously up the pathway.

"You must be Hayden, why aren't you a pretty thing! I'm Irina Uley! It's so lovely to meet you!" the cheerful voice of Mrs. Uley welcomed me with a large friendly smile and a hug. I froze at the hug, I didn't like touchy feely stuff, especially with strangers. As she hugged me, I spotted familiar greasy blonde hair of IT. IT sat crossed legged at the top of the stairs to the house mimicking what Mrs. Uley had said to me. But he disappeared when Maggie spoke.

"Mrs Uley...", Maggie was interrupted by Mrs. Uley, "Irina please and you too Hayden dear call me Irina".

"Okay, Irina, Hayden isn't real into touchy feeling type stuff, it's just her background, I hope you can understand", Maggie spoke with false politeness because I knew it annoyed Maggie when people upset me even when I'm not upset.

Mrs. Uley, I mean Irina looked at me sadly, went to put her hand on my cheek but shook it and put it down then plastered a cheery smile on her face and said to me, "That's alright! Come inside now child, you must be cold standing out here, Celeb and Sarah are at school, so you will meet them later and George, my lovely husband is at work, so it's just you and me for today! How does that sound". She was still smiling, it was getting creepy.

I looked at Maggie with a 'help me' look but Maggie just laughed and told me to behave and she will check on me in a week's time. She gave me a hug and gave Irina some of my paperwork. Irina then shooed me inside. The door shut with a bang.

"Welcome to the Uley household Hayden Daniels, I hope you will be happy here!" she said to me with her smile.

If I'm honest, I think her happiness will kill me before old age does.