Chapter Nine

Depuis le début

Ratchet chuckled softly, rubbing her temple with his thumb gently. "Don't be afraid. Everything is going to be alright, I'm here now." He murmured with a fading smile. She nodded and hugged him again, making sure to be careful of their drinks. She let go and watched him then they continued on to the hospital.

Ratchet sipped on his drink quietly as they entered and went to Jackson's room. He entered and set his drink and book down, going to his son. He pushed back his dark black hair, sighing softly as he took a seat next to him. He slowly took his hand quietly. Skye sat on his other side and gently gripped his hand. She stared blankly for a long time as she sighed. She looked at her grandfather who was on the other side of her father. She gently kissed Jacks hand as tears filled her eyes. 

Ratchet watched her sadly before leaning back in his chair with a sigh. He grabbed his book after a while and began to read it, listening to the silence and the beeping of his sons monitor.

After a while he realized it was late into the night. Ratchet rubbed his eyes as he looked up and smiled a little seeing her asleep. Skye was holding her father's hand as she slept with her arms folded on the bed. Her face buried in her arms as she dreamed of distant lands. The old man set the book to the side and got up stiffly. He went over to her and took the blanket, laying it over her. He checked his sons vitals quietly before slowly leaving and going down the hall, shoving his hands in his coat pockets as he walked.

He didn't see many people except for the skeleton and night crew. They nodded politely to him as they smiled a little. Ratchet smiled faintly at them, nodding in silent greeting as he passed by them. He looked around, making small notes of the hospitals structure and went to go see Robin.

He looked around for a while and finally found her in the room with her two brothers. She was sleeping on the couch as her brothers slept on the bed. The old doctor smiled faintly, his smile sad. He walked over and began unwrapping the young man's bandages, putting new bandages on quietly.

Elliott twitched as he felt movement then looked at him. He stared at him intently but didn't say anything or move. Ratchet was silent and gentle as if he didn't want to wake anyone. He soon got the bandage off and disposed of it. He saw the boy awake when he turned and stared for a moment before continuing his work silently.

The child whimpered quietly when the man looked at him then he slowly sat up. He watched him work and cocked his head to the side. The old medic soon finished and gave a gentle tug to make sure it was tight enough and placed the Velcro end onto the bandage.

He began standing with a grunt, going to the hand sanitizer. "You should keep resting." He muttered to the child. Elliott watched him for a moment then glanced at his brothers leg to make sure nothing was wrong with it. He whimpered quietly and watched the man walk over to wash his hands.

The child got down and the doctor heard the pitter-patter of feet. When he looked over his shoulder he saw the small boy standing by him. He was staring at his toes as he kept his hands close to himself. He fiddled with his fingers as he rocked on his bare feet a little. 

Ratchet washed his hands quietly then looked down at the boy when he finished. "What are you doing barefoot?" He grunted. "Are you aware of how many germs are on a hospital floor?" He grumbled. The  boy didn't say anything as he continued to stare at his cold toes. He shifted a little and continued to stare as he thought. He mumbled something but the man didn't hear him.

Ratchet frowned and crouched down. "Do you have shoes?" He muttered as he looked at the boy. He didn't say anything and looked over to his sister. She had a few backpacks by her and the doctor saw shoes and socks by them. Elliott looked over at his brother then at him again.