Jubil sighed and dropped Rhiannon unceremoniously. She collapsed in front of him, choking and wheezing. Jaida fell to her knees beside to her and rubbed her back. 

"What you did," Jubil said once she had recovered her breath, "was incredibly foolish." 

Rhiannon cleared her throat, but her voice was still raspy when she spoke. "What's foolish is suppressing our best weapon." 

He blinked. "Did you not see what she did? What she can do? She could have killed us all!" 

"Roltandre is going to kill us all if Vess is not strong enough to defeat her." 

"It is too much of a risk," Jubil insisted. 

"So you are willing to risk that Vess will be strong enough, despite hardly using her powers? I bet Roltandre doesn't have anyone holding her back! Do you really think she stands a chance against Roltandre at her full strength?" 

"I will be strong enough," Vess said. 

"How can you possibly know that?" Jaida said. 

"She just leveled an entire bog!" Julian said. "What more do you want?" 

"And Roltandre is raising people from the dead," Rhiannon shot back. "Who knows what else she is capable of?" 

"Enough," Vess snapped. "Just because Jubil keeps my power under control does not mean I do not know how to use it." 

"It doesn't mean you do, either," Jaida said, crossing her arms. 

"I could control it enough to kill everything except you," Vess said. 

There was silence. 

Rhiannon's stomach dropped as she thought of what could have happened. She wanted to test the limits of Vess's power to see what she was dealing with, but it hadn't crossed her mind that she would be unable to control them. She seemed so powerful to Rhiannon, a mere human. Beyond that, Vess had a tough exterior, and she always seemed to be in control. She realized that she may have overestimated her.

If that was true, then things were more grim than she thought. But she had already put all of her stakes on Vess. It's not like she had any other options, with Roltandre backing Venira. 

She decided to make the best of what she had. 

"Very well," Rhiannon said, breaking the quiet. "On to Thrael. We should reach Zephyrine by morning." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pale fingers of dawn reached across the sky just as they reached the tall walls of Thrael's capital, Zephyrine. The light sparkled on the dew that laced the grass, cutting through the early morning chill. 

As they approached a horn sounded. Bells rang frantically, and shouts could be heard from the tops of the walls. 

The gate opened, releasing five riders on horseback. Rhiannon took the opportunity to study them closely as they approached. She had always been fascinated with the matriarchal Thraelians, but as they were a very private people, she had never seen them in the flesh. 

Each rider had leather and metal armor. It was simple, but beautiful -- the craftsmanship was impeccable. Each woman had several long braids pouring out of their helmets and trailing down their backs.

The riders circled their tattered party, the horses kicking up dust and grass. Rhiannon took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, doing her best to make eye contact with the warriors as the horses slowed. Three had their weapons drawn, apparently spooked by the tall, hooded figures with the dirty, forlorn humans.