Chapter 2

I walked down the frosty road that lead to my new school, air stinging my already red nose. I was nervous and I felt like I was going to throw up. Honestly, I was scared. I was scared of new people, of the possibility they might bully me. I had gotten bullied a lot in my other schools, getting called 'mute' and other mean names... frequently getting beat up or picked on and teased. I hated school for that very reason and the fact that teachers never understood me. They would always tell me I would have to speak in class or answer their questions. I would always stay silent and stare at the floors until they left me alone. I wish I could just disappear. I laughed quietly to myself. I could disappear, in a sense, but I mean just, leave, never come back to this hell on Earth, never set foot in another school again. Maybe I could live by myself... just like the freak of nature I am. I hadn't realized I had made it to the school until I nearly fell on my face tripping over the first step on the outside. I dropped my bag and all my books fell strewn out of the bag. Geeze, I hope no one saw that... I mentally face-palmed when I heard maniacal laughter come from behind me. I turned around to see a short girl with brown curls, a purple highlight streaking her bangs. "hey buddy, you alright there?" She asked her laughter beginning to die out. I already liked her the first minute I saw her. She skipped over to me and quickly helped me gather my things. I simply nodded at her as a thank you. She smiled at me, and quickly started to speak in a high pitched, British toned voice. "oh yeah, I forgot... my names Minx, what's yours?" She stuck her hand out and I hesitantly shook it. "Ze" I whispered my nickname, not looking her in the eye. "oh! Are you shy?" She asked, even though the answer was right in front of her. I shrugged looking down. "I take that as a yes... soo... You're new here right? I haven't seen you before" "yeah" I murmured."well... do you have your schedule yet?" She asked changing the subject. I shook my head. "c'mon then, let's go get it!" She grabbed my wrist and ran off to the front office, me stumbling behind, trying to keep up. God, she was hyper! She led me to a counter where a woman with dark red lips and glasses on a chain was sitting. "how can I help you two?" She asked in a 'I-don't-care' kind of voice. "Ze here is new, and he needs his schedule!" She chirped, not caring about the woman's sarcastic tone. "oh! A new student, what's your name hun?" "Steven Royals" I said only loud enough for them to hear. She started flipping through the files on her desk until she came to a bright yellow paper. "Ah, here it is" she said handing me the schedule. "Your first class is... science, with Mr. Sark! Same as me!" Minx squealed. "C'mon, I'll show you where it is" she once again grabbed my arm an pulled me out the door into a sea of kids. I was overwhelmed and was breathing heavily from the fear of being noticed by the wrong person. I mean we were bumping into half the school, leaving a trail of "hey"s and "ow!". Finally, after what seemed like forever, we came to a stop in front of a classroom. Cheesy posters littered the wall around the door, and a big sign read "Welcome" in bold letters. I gulped nervously and stepped in, Minx by my side, chattering on about what kinds if projects we do, and how cool the teacher was...
"Ok class... today, we will be learning about the anatomy of a human. Were gonna start with the heart." he grabbed a trigger and switched on his projector to show a model of a heart an it's arterys. I loved science... and reading, I guess. I always was interested in learning about each. "can anyone tell me what a heart does?" A boy raised his hand, he had black hair and a small smile glued to his face. "Yes, you sir" Mr. Sark called out pointing to him. "A heart pumps blood and oxygen around your body to feed your cells" the boy said. he had a very deep, melodic voice, and black hair. I looked over at Minx with a questioning glance. She stared at me for a second before realizing I was asking who he was. "Oh! That's Max. he's one of my friends that I sit with at lunch!" She giggled. I nodded and stared back at my desk. I liked Minx... she was nice. I raised my head again and curiously glanced around the classroom, taking it all in. Nothing had gone wrong so far... which is pretty good I guess. Mr. Sark was cool an I had already made a new temporary "friend". I have to remind myself not to get too attached. I can't... I have to leave my past behind me, live in the now... I could forget almost everyone I had ever met, that is except my father... I could never forget his smiling face as he taught me all the things I know now. God how I miss him. I was snapped away from my thoughts by the sound of Mr. Sark. "Boys! Pay attention... and I want no more laughing! That means you Anthony!" His voice had gained a strict accent to it, making me flinch a bit. I turned and looked cautiously in the direction of his scolding to see an olive skinned boy with black curls rolling his eyes and smiling cockily in Mr. Sarks direction. He was sitting near the back with two other boys who were giggling quietly at Anthony's reaction. I turned away and a tiny smile was pasted to my face. He was cute!