Chapter 1

My hands gripped a faded brown box as I walked into my new house. I dropped the box and wiped my hands on my shirt, trying to get some of the dust off. My mother followed shortly, bringing in a big plastic bin with 'Steven' scribbled on with black sharpie. She stumbled, struggling to hold the weight. I shot forward, catching the heavy bin and helping her carry it in. We put it on the ground and she leaned back, wiping a small trickle of sweat off her face. "thanks sweetie" she murmured, thanking him for the help. "no problem" I said quietly, sighing. I never was a talkative kid... I mean what's the point in trying to make friends? If I get attached to anyone, the pain hurts even worse when I'm suddenly torn away from newfound friends and put in a brand new school in a brand new state, sometimes even in a brand new country. my name is Steven Royals, I'm 15, just a normal guy... right, totally normal besides the fact that I'm gay... and, I have a special power. Yep, totally normal. I was born in Canada, raised there, found my first love there... and, lost my dad there. We were iceskating one day, on a frozen lake, dumb I know, when the ice began to crack under my fathers feet... he plunged into the cold Canadian waters, drowning under the ice, all the while little Steven watches his father die before him at age 7... It really messed me up, witnessing something as horrific as that, at such a young age... after that I rarely ever spoke, and even if I did it would be in small phrases like 'ok' or 'no' never full sentences. I never recovered, never made it out of the depressing hole I lived my life stuck in... I was snapped out of saddening memories by my mother calling my name. "Steven! Helllooo?!" She waved her hand in my face. "sorry" I whispered. "it's ok... I just wish you would stop acting... so, so... strange" she murmured whist fully. not this again. I groaned quietly so she would not hear. She was always nagging at me about being different, she was the only one who actually about my special abilility. I had this... this... power to make myself unseen... or as people like to call it, invisibility. We were always moving from place to place, and my mom always blamed me... I guess it technically is my fault, I mean, we couldn't let anyone find out my secret... if someone found out and told the world, I'd be ripped away from my family, treated like a freak, tested, isolated... that was a nightmare I never want to dream... That's why if anyone ever even came close, to discovering my power, we would move at a moments notice, leaving all the kids at my school confused and curious...

I pulled the last of my clothes out from the brown box that held my small amount of belongings. Sighing and plopping down on my bed, newly made, I stared at my new room. Light red walls, some of my posters already hung up on my wall, bookshelf full of video game manuals and horror stories, dresser packed with my many hoodies and shirts, my light brown desk with my Xbox360 and PS3 carefully placed next to a flat screen tv, A nightstand with my laptop plugged in charging and my bed, mahogany sheets with patterns of whispy leaves lacing the edges. I always thought the sheets were a bit girly, but I never said a word about my grievances... my mother already had enough stress placed on her shoulders without me complaining about every small problem. I sighed again, this time a content sigh, not a woeful one. I laid back on my bed, arms outstretched. I closed my eyes, breathing in the new scent of my room. My eyes suddenly snapped open as I realized something... tomorrow was the first day of my new school...