Chapter 6: Failed Ambush?

Key: (Y/s) = Your size. Example - Small, tiny, large, tall, thick, medium, etc.

Damien's hugs were really nice and comforting until they became bone-crushing, like this one.

"I CAME HOME LAST NIGHT AND YOU WEREN'T HERE! I GOT SO SCARED! WHERE WERE YOU?"

"I was on a walk, Damien! I needed air! Like right fucking now." He let me go and I inhaled, letting the oxygen implode my lungs again. He holds onto my forearms and stares into my eyes. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." He raises his eyebrows and all I do is shrug and laugh. "I mean it."

"Okay then. Be safe." This time it was my turn to raise my eyebrows, taking on a natural sassy pose. "Where are you going?"

He smiles. "I have work."

I groan, hating when he goes to 'work'. "I think I should be warning you." Damien laughs, hugging me gently. Then he pulls back, yet again gripping my arms. He stares into my (e/c) eyes and studies my face. "No leaving the house, for anything. Got me?" I squint at him.

"Since when have you been the mother?" He smiles and looks at the floor, chuckling. Then he's staring at me intently again. "Seriously, do not leave the house. I'll be home around eight." He kisses my forehead before grabbing his gun from the table and heading out the door.

I release a low whistle after he leaves, throwing myself onto the couch. I turn the TV on but don't pay any attention to it. Instead, I lay on my back, staring at the roof and thinking.

Damien is my brother. He has been since I was thirteen. He had been fourteen at the time when his curly brown head rocked up at our doorstep. I knew him from school, he had been my best friend and I was his. From the moment we had met with each other it had been clear that there was a strong connection between us, although we had no clue why.

I would help his anxiety and he would calm my over-the-top attitudes. We would have each other. I was the first to know when he announced his sexuality, trusting me over all of our other friends who believed inequality. To be honest, that moment was the proudest I've been in him, coming out like that. Especially in a city like ours. So, we keep it a secret from everyone else. I guess he learned his lesson of keeping quiet after he screamed his sexuality to his father, who beat him repeatedly. That was the day Damien snapped. He told me everything in incredible detail. He had grabbed a chair, smashing his father in the head with it. Had run to the kitchen, snatched a knife from the counter and murdered his father with it. That's when his younger brother who had joined their father in beating Damien had started to run.

Then the whole house was dead. Damien was a brown-eyed criminal but I still loved him. He would murder anyone standing as a threat to me or my friends even if we tell him we don't need his help. His protective nature has helped a lot, especially since I am a magnet for danger. That's... that's really the only reason he signed up to be an assassin at Bryce's business. Of course, he got on Bryce's bad books very quick considering Damien is pretty much a demon and Bryce is an angel. Well... as much of an angel you can be in this world.

Damien still works for Bryce, but they rarely see each other in person. Especially when I am around. Damien has no clue that I am (Y/a/n).

Thank god for that. I would be questioned about it every day for the rest of my life! He already talks about how (Y/a/n) is the best hitman ever! Not everyone knows my gender. Which would cause a lot of arguments on whether I was or not.

I keep thinking until my stomach starts rumbling. I haven't eaten in a while. I walk to the fridge and open it, searching its contents. I don't feel like disgusting leftovers that I should probably throw out so after grabbing a package of 2-minute noodles from the pantry, I put the kettle on to boil.