Chapter 5: First Blood

His paper bag mask rests on the ground. The tall man pushed up - making me fall over - and picked it up, placing it back on his head. He sighed but I already had his long, bearded face burned into my brain. He stood up, took out a pistol from his pocket and pointed it at me, looking away swiftly.

When he pulled the trigger, I wasn't there. I stood up and kicked my leg out, pushing his back and making him fall onto a chair instead. While he was stunned, my hands tore the gun from him and pushed it under the hem of my pants. With that, I ran.

I ran and ran until I was home.

I arrived home out of breath. That had torn at my chest and left me weak. My legs caught out from under me as I slid down the door and held a hand to my chest. It wasn't until my breathing had gone back to normal that I noticed my phone vibrating in my pocket. I couldn't help but jump and check the screen. "Damien?" I ask raising the phone to my ear and whispering to my brother. "WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!"

His screams echoed through the now loud apartment. "Damien! Damien, calm down!"

"ARE YOU OKAY!?"

"I'm at home! Calm your tits!"

"DID YOU GET HURT?"

"No! Damien, I'm fucking fine. I wasn't hurt okay!"

"WHERE DID YOU GO? YOU WERE THERE ONE SECOND AND GONE THE NEXT!-"

"Damien! I'll explain when you get home. I'll be able to tell you everything."

"I can't."

"What?" My heart starts beating fast and I grip the phone tighter. "Where are you?"

He's silent for a moment before whispering. "I am at Corey's house. He had a panic attack and I am comforting him."

"Be safe," I muttered quietly before hanging up.

My head rested back against the door and I squeezed my eyes closed. Unfortunately, all I could see was that lanky male. I've seen his face before, I know I have. The big question is, where?

I check my phone again, this time scrolling through my contacts. I see his name towards the top and press the dial button.

"Hello? Yeah, Bryce. I need help."

~.~

"There we are! Scrambled on the ground and his mask is off!"

"That sounds naughty." He laughs and I swing my fist at his shoulder. "Shut up!" He rubs that spot but continues smiling.

"Who was he?"

"That's the thing, I don't remember."

"Well, when you say Paper Bag mask I think of the one and only Daithi De Nogla."

"Yeah. That sounds about right. I know I've seen who he really is somewhere, but I can't remember where."

Bryce puts a hand to his chin, furrowing his eyebrows and tapping his fingers on the table.

"Work?" I raise my eyebrows in question before shaking my head. "I meant around here but whatever. Um, down the street?" Yet again, I shake my head. Definitely not. "He's not astray."

"School?"

That clicks. "Yeah. That's it. Can you search up a list of people who are at my school please." Bryce nods before typing furiously on his laptop. His eyes scan his screen and he clicks the mouse a few times. The blonde male's eyebrows furrow and he looks up, clear puzzle on his face. He opens his mouth to speak but the door slams open, making the man's eyes widen dramatically.