The Girl In Red

"You can stop here, Rufus," Xander called from the back of the limo. His driver pulled the car to a halt just outside the large mansion. Even from here he could hear the loud, swelling music coming from inside. He shook his head. Witches were so dramatic.

     He stepped out of the car and was almost instantly denied entrance. A gorgeous woman, clad in green silk and decked in pearls, stepped in front of him before he even got one foot over the threshold. 

     "Excuse me," she said sweetly, staring up at him, "Don't you know the rules? No Hunters in Witch Country. Go home before anyone else sees you."

     He flashed her a grin. "Oh, don't be like that. I'm just here for the party."

     She rolled her eyes at his failed attempt to woo her. "I'm old enough to be your mother, boy. Now go, before you startle my guests."

     "Look," He said, dropping the act, "My friends are in there. I need to speak with them."

    "Then why didn't you just call? They know better than to invite Hunters to my parties."

    He scowled, getting irritated. "Let me in now, witch. I don't have time for your stupid rules."

    "Xander?" Amelia stood behind the woman, one hand on the rails of the shining wooden steps as if she'd just reached the bottom. She looked beautiful. Her hair was lifted off her shoulders, revealing a slender neck and strong jaw. Her dress flowed across her curves, making her look as womanly as he'd ever seen her. He swallowed. She was the spitting image of Mother.

     "Amelia, tell this idiot to let me in." 

     The woman's mouth formed a small "oh" in surprise. She turned to Amelia. "You know this boy?"

     She sighed. "He's my brother."

     The woman seemed thoroughly confused. Xander pushed past her impatiently, ignoring her protests. He stomped up to Amelia, grabbing her wrist and tugging her toward a hallway. She grunted and ripped her wrist away once they were somewhat concealed.

     "What is your problem?" she demanded, massaging the sore joint. "I'm at a party."

     "I'm aware," Xander growled. 

     "How did you find us?" Amelia tucked a loose strand of hair behind one ear. Her habit couldn't be tamed.

     "Did you really think I wouldn't?" He smirked, making her scoff.

    "You know what? Fine. Go ahead. March in there, throw Bex over your shoulder, and leave." Something flashed in her eyes as she said this, and Xander frowned. "But just so you know, it's gonna tick her off."

    Amelia's tone made him pause. "What are you talking about?" He studied her face, not sure what she was getting at.

    His sister rolled her eyes. "You're such a guy." She looped her arm through his, guiding him into a larger hall. At the end were two wide french doors, both propped open to allow for free passage. 

     They stopped near the entrance. "Look. Do you see her?" Xander scanned the room, but none of the figures were familiar. "She's literally the most beautiful girl in the room." He still didn't see her. Amelia gave a frustrated sigh and grabbed his chin, jerking it to the right. "Red dress, black lace. Got it?"

     His stomach hit his toes. 

     There she was, shimmering and glowing in all her beauty. Her dress was blood-red, backless, and it bloomed at the waist. Black lace fell across her forehead, partially concealing her chocolate eyes. The colors complimented her dark skin and accentuated her curves. She spun to the music, a red ball of fire amidst the sea of silk and satin. He felt a bite in his throat when he noticed the other men in the room throwing her desiring glances. He suddenly felt the impossible urge to run across the slick dance floor and take her in his arms.