Part 2: Xander

He couldn't stop thinking about it. Grandmother? She would never do something like this. She couldn't do anything like this. She didn't have it in her. She had always been good to him, always taken care of him. Sure, she'd had her moments. Like the time he and Amelia had run for class presidents in each of their grades. Grandmother had paid off the principal, cheating them both into the positions back in grade school. But still. That was just an elementary election for children. She would never do something this large-scale.

    But even as he pushed through the large suite that his grandmother owned, he still couldn't shake the doubtful look on Amelia's face when Bex had proposed the scandal. He trusted his sister's judgement, even if he didn't trust her. But he also couldn't allow such a terrible accusation fall on his grandmother. After all, she was the only one left in the family who still hadn't betrayed him. Who still hadn't left him.

     If Bex was right--which she wasn't--then the honorable thing to do would be to talk to Grandmother directly, first and foremost. She should have the opportunity to relay her side of things and refute any accusations. He didn't care that the smarter, more strategic option would be to quiz the other members of the Circle first. He didn't care that, by talking to Grandmother before everyone else, he was simply giving her the opportunity to cover her story before he got to the other members. Because there was nothing to cover. She would never do anything like this behind his back. Not in a million years.

     He found himself stopping in front of a large, professionally-carved bow. It was mounted low enough on the wall that he could simply reach out and run his fingers along the intricate designs that danced over the sides. It was smooth, strong, powerful--just as he remembered it. It had been his mother's. He could still hear the whizz of the arrows as they flew through the air all those years ago, back when she used to stand in the open field and teach him how to properly hold such a deadly weapon. How to properly hold this one.

    "Alexander?" 

    He didn't flinch at her sudden appearance. His grandmother had a way with moving silent as a mouse, but his years of training as a Hunter had honed his instincts. His hand stilled on the bow, and he had to remind himself that Grandmother was just holding on to it for safekeeping. It was his, if he wanted it.

    "Hello, Grandmother." Xander pressed a gentle kiss to her soft cheek. "How are you?"

    She waved him off. "Fine, I suppose. The Circle is demanding that we begin to rally our defenses as soon as possible, with the Sanchez girl on the front line." She sighed, fiddling with the pearls along her neck. They had been a wedding gift from Grandfather. She hadn't taken them off since he died. "I can't seem to explain to them that she's not ready. She needs time to prepare."

   "The Sanchez girl. "  "The Rampage." "That ill-mannered delinquent." Xander tried not to snap at Grandmother when she said those things. It only served to irritate her. 

   "Who came up with the idea in the first place?" he asked, feigning ignorance. He dropped into one of the chairs, careful not to put his feet up. Grandmother hated that.

   She scoffed. "Oh, who knows. It was a notion that was bound to come up, anyway. With war just over the hill and a girl who can run it through like cheese, I don't see how it could have been prevented." She looked at him then, giving him a sad smile. "And you? How are you feeling, in the midst of all this madness?"

   At Grandmother's gentle tone, Xander seemed to deflate a little. All the tension and the stress that had been building up over the last few weeks suddenly threw itself to the front of his mind. He shook his head, staring at the ceiling. "It's been... Difficult," was all he said. No need to worry her any more than he had to. She had enough on her plate.

   "So," she said, pouring herself a cup of tea, "Why are you here? I have a feeling it wasn't just to come to visit your dear old grandmother." She blew on the hot beverage, steam rising from the cup. He couldn't help but compare the image to that of a dragon, blowing smoke from its nostrils after a harsh, fiery blow.

    Xander shoved the image away, hating himself for such a terrible thought. "Bex had some... Superstitions about you," he hinted, deciding if confiding in her was the best idea."

    "What sort of superstitions?" she inquired, sipping her tea.

    Oh, screw it. "She thinks you sent her to Witch Country to prepare her for fighting with the Hunters. She thinks you were the one who proposed the idea to the Circle." He watched her warily, waiting for a reaction.

   But if she was ruffled, she didn't show it. She simply nodded. "I can't blame her for being suspicious. She wouldn't be smart if she weren't." She sighed. "I sent her to Witch Country because that is what I saw her doing in my mind's eye." She tapped her temple, indicating her seer abilities. "If the universe sent her there to prepare her for a Hunter's fight, then I can't take responsibility for that which I have no control over."

   Xander paused, thinking about this. "You're saying you think she should do this?" He looked at her, puzzled. "But you voted against it."

  "It doesn't matter what I think. I'm saying that, regardless of what I do, the universe will have its way."

   "It's inevitable," Xander breathed, falling back into the chair. Bex would have to go to war. There was no stopping it.

    Grandmother shook her head disapprovingly. "This is ridiculous, Alexander," she mumbled, setting her teacup down and crossing her arms.

    Xander glanced at her. "What is?"

    "This!" She gestured at him. "I can't believe you would become so involved with such a dangerous girl!"

     Xander stiffened. "I'm not... We aren't involved." 

     "Then you'd better get your emotions in check. I won't have my grandson distracted by petty feelings when he has such an important job to do. Especially when they're directed toward that mouthy teenager!"

     Xander bit his tongue, fighting the rage that threatened to surface. He stood, clenching his fists. "I'll see you at the next meeting, Victoria." Her eyes widened at his aloof manner, but she said nothing.

     With a final look at the mounted bow, he disappeared into the elevator.

     Once he was outside, he felt like he could breathe again. He hated himself for that. Every time he visited his Grandmother, he expected to experience some kind of relief. What a foolish idea. It seemed as if, no matter how many times he went, he always came away feeling heavier than before.

     The weather was warm as ever, kissing his cheeks and tousling his hair. He walked leisurely down the sidewalk. He wanted to relish in the moment when nothing and no one could bother him. He watched a woman pushing a stroller, trying to pacify her screaming child. He was suddenly reminded of Bex, cradling Jamie in her arms, and the memory of her sweet face sent warmth coursing through his veins.

     But when he pushed open the door to her hotel room and found it empty, the warmth vanished, leaving a cold, icy chill rolling over his back.