The Witch Said To Recite Poetry

We stood just outside the hotel, packed and ready to go. Adam relaxed on a sidewalk bench, Mia sitting casually on the other side. Xander stood underneath one of the trees, still scowling. I hadn't bothered trying to talk to him since we left the office. I knew he was still upset with me for not mentioning my headaches, but he didn't have to be such a child about it.

   Adam and Mia were deep in conversation and as I watched them, I suddenly noticed the subtle softened expression Adam used when he looked at her. She was absolutely breathtaking, just like her brother, so it wasn't too far-fetched. But his attraction went deeper than that, I think. I realized with a jolt that Adam was really madly in love with her. And, seeing her friendly demeanor, she had absolutely no idea.

    I glanced at Xander, wondering if he'd noticed too, but his eyes were trained elsewhere. Always elsewhere. Never in any general vicinity of me.

    Aggravated, I stormed over, stopping in front of him in the close-cropped grass. "What is your problem?" I spat, crossing my arms.

    He flexed his jaw but didn't meet my eyes. 

    "Xander," I said slowly, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my... episodes. I thought I was making the right decision, and obviously I was wrong." I waited. 

   When he didn't react, I felt a flood of anger. Something in me snapped, and I smacked him in the chest. He looked at me then, his eyes cold. "What is wrong with you?" I demanded. "I apologized. I admitted I was wrong. I know I was wrong. Why are you still pouting?"

    "I'm not pouting," he argued, staring at Adam and Mia on the park bench. 

    "Yes, you are. You won't talk to me, let alone look at me!" I resisted the urge to stomp my foot in the grass. "What is it going to take for you to grow up and stop acting like such a child?"

    He sneered. "I am far from a child," he grunted.

   "Oh really?" I pointed at Mia. "That girl is your sister. And yet you still cut her off like she's some sort of insult to you. She loves you, Xander." He flinched at that. "And she's not sorry she chose to be a Host. But you know what? She's still your family. I don't know why that's so hard for you to accept."

    Xander sighed then, finally looking at me. "I love her, too, Bex." He murmured. "But she chose her demon over me."

    I shook my head. "She chose to embrace who she is. That's not something you can fault her for."

   Just then, Adam noticed us. "Whoa!" He said, throwing one hand over his chest in feigned injury. "I'm getting a really nasty vibe from you guys right now." He pointed between me and Xander.

   "Can we just go?" I said shortly. "I really don't want to be here right now."

   Mia and Adam rose to their feet, stopping in front of me. "We're going to run," she warned me. "You ready?"

   I could feel Xander's eyes on my back as I set my feet, preparing. "Absolutely."

   Adam took off, a whoosh of air leaving my hair flapping in my eyes. Mia threw me a questioning look before speeding out herself.

   I was last.

   Taking a deep, calming breath, I took a few steps back, gaining momentum.

   Suddenly, someone grabbed my wrist. I twisted around to see Xander, his hand locked around mine, his eyes indecisive. Before I knew what was happening, he pulled me to him, touching his forehead gently to mine. He closed his eyes, sighing. I didn't know I was inhaling the scent of him until his hand came up and brushed along my jawline.