12

I just wanted to quickly say thank you for the support and I'm so glad you guys are enjoying!!
~~~

I rus as fast as I can, lifting the ends of my long dress so it won't tangle under my feet. I weave in and out of the garden's maze glancing behind me every few seconds.

"Get back here!"

I run faster, breathing hard. I can see the opening in the bushes that will lead me to the fountain at the center of the garden, safety.

I huff harder but just as I'm about to step into the clearing thick arms wrap around me and yank me back. I let out a loud scream from the unexpected movement.

"No fair!" I laugh, "I was so close!"

Draven laughs spinning me around before setting me on the ground.

"You're fast but not fast enough little one," he says kissing my cheek.

I smile up at him with raised eyebrows, "Yes well I let you catch me."

His arms stayed wrapped around my waist, "Oh did you? Is that why it was no fair that I caught you?"

I giggle and lean my weight back getting him to start walking towards the fountain.

"Yes that's exactly why. I didn't want you to feel bad that I was too fast for you."

Draven nods his head going along with my charade but doesn't say anything else. I can feel the light mist from the splashing water at my back and grin.

"Hey Draven?" I whisper.

"Yes my little one?" His eyes don't leave my own.

"I win," I say bringing his attention to the fountain behind me.

He lets out a rough laugh, "Yes I suppose you did."

I silently gaze up at him, my chin resting on his firm chest. We stand like that for what seems like forever with nothing but us and the sound of the running fountain behind me.

He breaths in as if to say something but before he can get a word out Gunner appears at the edge of the maze looking grim.

"Idalia, your father would like to speak with you."

Draven's eyes close and he lets a breath out of his nose at the interruption. I smile and squeeze his body quickly before detangling.

"Is something wrong Gunner?" I ask making my way to him.

His face doesn't brighten like I thought it would when I grab his hand. He actually pulls away from me.

"I'm not at liberty to say little queen. Just follow me." He says. His body is rigid but his eyes are soft.

My stomach aches. Gunner is five steps ahead of me but I haven't moved. He turns to face me his face now completely readable.

"Idalia please, just come. Don't make this harder," he begs.

I want to protest but he looks like he's in physical pain and I can't bring myself to hurt him more. I heave a breath in to try and relieve the ache in my stomach.

My feet follow him blindly and my mind races. What could daddy possibly say that could be so bad? Why does Gunner look like his heart hurts and where is Ranger?

The walk to papà's office is silent and filled with tension. My entire body aches by the time we're standing in front of the large wooden door.

Gunner knocks lightly but I yank the door open before papà can tell us to come in.