Chapter {O9} Suspicion

Start from the beginning

“Didn’t I fall asleep in the kitchen?” I asked him.

“Don’t you remember walking up here?”

I shook my head.

“Well…you did.”

Trying to recall this incident, I laid there, getting a nice tan from the sun while David went back to doing whatever it was he was doing on my laptop.

“How’d you unlock my laptop?” I asked him suddenly.

“It wasn’t that hard to guess; considering your mom’s password is ‘Squidward.’ So, I just assumed it would be something along the lines of Spongebob.”

“Eh, she likes keeping things coordinated. You’ll probably have to change your password to Patrick soon.” I explained absentmindedly.

“By the way, someone’s been calling you for the past hour. You might want to see who that is.” David told me.

“Bring me my phone.” I grunted, not budging from my place on my bed.

“Lazy fatass…” I heard David mutter as he got up and went over to my dresser to retriever my phone.

I decided to ignore his comment – probably because there was some truth to it.

He drew the phone in my general direction and it landed just centimeters from my face, making me gasp, and making him laugh.

“Jerk.” I mumbled as I picked up my phone. 6 missed called. Who the hell was calling me so vehemently?

Sylvia. Yup, only my big sis would call me like that.

Quickly, I called her back, and she answered within a few rings.

“Cat! Why didn’t you pick up your phone? I thought you died or something!” She exclaimed into the phone. I had to hold the phone away from my ear to keep myself from going deaf.

“Jeez, I was asleep.” I said when she calmed down a little.

“It’s 4PM.” My sister pointed out.

Damn, it was? “Well, I had a rough night.” I tried to explain, glancing in David’s general direction to see that he was watching me with disapproval. Well, I had kept him up all night…

“Horror movie?”

“Horror movie.”

Normally, Sylvia was the one who stayed up with me after a scary movie. Except most of the time, it was because we watched the movie together and she was too scared to sleep too. The night would consist of us ‘ghost hunting’ around the house, screaming and being yelled at by mom for waking her up.

“Why’d you call so many times?” I asked, remembering the reason why I had called her in the first place.

“Aaron and I are coming over. We’re a few minutes away, actually.” She told me enthusiastically.

“Really? What’s the occasion? Mom’s at work, so you can’t see her either.” I asked, excited to see my big sister.

“Just want to see my baby sister.” She said in the high pitched voice she normally used on cute animals.

“What’s the real reason?” I asked with a playful roll of my eyes.

“Mm, you know me too well. I need to see this new step-father of mine. Curiosity has been killing me softly.” Sylvia explained, singing the last part.

“Come open the door, we’re here!” She exclaimed just as I heard the obnoxious roar of my future brother-in-law’s Mitsubishi Lancer.

With a laugh, I turned my phone off and jumped out of bed.