Chapter 2. Timing

My hands trembled as I typed the message on my phone. I was really disappointed in myself. I couldn't even send a simple 'Hi' to Uttkarsh. We never had a proper conversation when we were in college, our worlds totally different - but that didn't stop me from having a secret crush on him.

I tried again to text him but stopped as I still felt awkward.

How am I supposed to get married if I can't even chat with a guy?

My parents were rushing me to get married because according to them, I was getting old and would not find a good groom if I crossed the threshold limit for girls to get married. Well, I was twenty seven, so I understood their concern.

That's why I said yes for them to start finding guys from me, and I even talked on phone with one of the guys they had selected, but now there was a huge problem. A problem which had human form: Uttkarsh.

Why did he have to come in my life at such a crucial time? He always has bad timing. First, he left to study abroad on the day I was going to confess my feelings and now he has returned when I am planning to get settled.

But why am I blaming him? Shouldn't I have already moved on and forgotten about him? He could be with someone else for all I know.

My heart clenched when I imagined him with some other girl. I couldn't believe I was feeling jealous all of a sudden. Damn myself.

I quickly typed a 'Hi' and pressed the send button. I lied down on my bed, put the phone on the side table and switched off the lights. I tried sleeping but my eyes opened up on their own. I picked up the phone again and checked if he had replied or not. He hadn't.

I sulked and kept staring at the screen, not wanting to miss his message. My eyes were literally glued to the mobile screen, and I kept tapping it whenever I felt it getting in sleep mode.

After half an hour, I got tired and shut off my cell phone. I pouted and covered myself with a blanket. I finally fell asleep after tossing and turning several times as my mind builded dreams which I had already forgotten about several years ago.

The first thing I did when I woke up in the morning was to check my phone. A huge smile crept up my lips when I saw two messages from him. First one was a simple 'Hello' but when I read the second message, I couldn't believe my eyes.

He had asked me to meet him in Hotel D'Luna at 8:30 p.m. I read his message multiple times and fist pumped.

Date secured!

I was in such a happy mood that someone would think that I had won a lottery. I didn't want to spoil my merry mood, but there was a small doubt which was nagging me since yesterday.

I was happy that he had asked to meet me but what if he told me that he was engaged or married? What if he turned out to be a committed man?

I decided to tone down my happiness and focused on the day ahead. I decided to clear all of my doubts once I met him.

I knew I had a huge crush on him which only got intensified because of his return, but I was a grown up now.

I will deal with this situation properly and will not act heartbroken if he is not interested in me. We were acquaintances in college and maybe we could be friends. Who knows?

With this thought in mind, I did my work without giving my employers any chance to complain and got back home to get ready for the date.

It is not a date, Sadhna.

I took a hot shower, cleaned myself and applied body lotion. I had chosen a simple purple hollow neck A-line dress. The hem reached just above my knees and the dress fit me like a glove. I just loved this dress.