Chapter 1. Feelings

I was having this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach since I woke up in the morning. It wasn't the first time I felt like that, but this time, it was really stuck to me like glue. And I couldn't decide whether it was a good feeling or not.

So, I just put it on the backburner and carried on with my daily routine and got ready to reach my office before I got late.

I picked up my phone and bag, and after checking my appearance in the mirror one last time, I left the house and dropped the keys in my bag. My workplace was just twenty minutes away from my home, so I utilised this time to give my legs some exercise.

I would buy an American espresso and two cupcakes from the cafeteria on my way to curb the hunger which arose from all the walking.
On reaching office, I greeted everyone present, got in my cubicle and started the work.

I had recently joined this startup, and I was really happy with my decision. After working in three well-known established law firms for six years, I was really worried about joining this new baby on the block.

But when I did my research, I was really impressed with their resume and goals. So, I took a leap of faith and quit my last job - which was boring as hell - and joined this new team.

There were only twenty employees currently, but I knew that one day there would be thousands of footsteps roaming around this place. I believed it.

"Guys! A very important client is coming in the afternoon for a meeting. If everything goes well, we will be able to secure a huge investment," our CEO, Mr. Rajesh Lohari announced, and we all clapped in excitement.

He explained what each of us had to do and said that he would be choosing two persons to accompany him while he took care of the presentation. Therefore, everyone had to be prepared.

This wasn't the first time that someone had showed interest in investing in our startup, but going by the way our CEO was so pumped up for this, it meant that it was a really big deal this time.

I didn't know why I was feeling so nervous while the trainees were all cool about it.

I am a senior, I should act like one.

I got myself a coffee and called all the juniors who were assigned to me. I took an update from them about our ongoing project and announced that if we secured the deal, I would give them a treat. They all got excited and got back to work with more energy.

Soon, the clock struck 3 p.m., and we heard footsteps which seemed to be getting louder with each passing second.

"They are here!" our secretary whisper yelled and ran to take her position at the door to welcome the guests.

After a few seconds, Rajesh sir appeared with two men behind him. Both of them were dressed in expensive suits and looked well groomed, but there was one who got my heart beating like a racing horse.

I clutched my skirt tightly and that feeling from earlier intensified thousand folds. I felt a knot in my stomach. I averted my eyes and focused them on the ground.

When I heard others greet the client, I also joined them. We greeted them like school kids and smiled like a lightbulb. But my smile got stuck on my face and my eyes took the shape of saucers when I saw him staring back at me.

The two men strode with confidence and stood in front of us. My colleague nudged me, and I realised that the other guy was asking for my name. I quickly apologized and introduced myself.

"Sadhna Tiwari," I said my name and shook his hands.

All this time, I could feel the man behind him staring holes in my face. He was our client and he had come with his assistant for the meeting.