Chapter 3. Concern

"Hi, Sadhna."

"Hi, Uttkarsh."

We greeted each other, and I welcomed him inside my home. He gave me a bouquet of orchids and waited for my reaction. I smelled the flowers and smiled brightly at him. His cheeks turned a bit red, and I stifled a giggle.

It had been one month since our first date and this was the first time he came over to my house. We met other times but it was mostly business conferences and other stuff. We never got to spend time with each other if it wasn't for our company meetings.

I turned around and found a vase to place the flowers as he removed his shoes. His eyes roamed around my tiny apartment before he made himself comfortable on the couch.

He brought me flowers! I felt lucky.

I told him that I would make some coffee for both of us, and he offered to help, but I refused. He was a guest. How could I ask him to do that? But he still insisted and followed me into the kitchen.

We prepared coffee, and he told me that his parents were finding a girl for him. I tensed up when he mentioned that but who was I to complain? I myself had my hands full with the whole arranged marriage ordeal back in my hometown.

He snapped his fingers in front of my face when I didn't reply. I quickly masked my disappointment and congratulated him. He didn't seem too happy about it. He just shrugged his shoulders and kept asking me about my engagement.

Why was he so concerned about my life?

I ignored his questions and diverted the topic to politics. He caught on my try but didn't pressurize me to reveal about my personal life. We were totally different. He was really outgoing while I liked to keep things low.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed, and he excused himself. I sighed and mentally punched myself.

If I kept acting like this, he would surely know that I still liked him.

Moreover, I was having double thoughts about the guy my parents had selected for me. We were from the same background and our status matched too. I hadn't met him yet but I had talked to him on the phone a few times. He seemed like a nice guy. He was an engineer by profession; just what my parents wanted. I knew we would get along really well, but I didn't want to agree to this marriage.

Also, I was keeping him on hold when he could easily find some other girl and get married. I needed to take this step immediately, or I would ruin someone's future. But then again, I wasn't confident about my own decision. What about my parents?

"Sadhna! Hey! You okay? I called your name like ten times." Uttkarsh touched my shoulder, and I realised that I had zoned out.

I nodded and stared at his face. His eyebrows were etched together in concern while his hazel orbs penetrated my soul. It was like he was reading me. I brushed off the unnecessary thoughts and gave him a small smile.

He told me that his friends were coming, so he had to leave. It was really urgent, and he couldn't hang up on them. He apologized for not informing me earlier and I told him it was okay.

Just when he went to wear his shoes, I came up with an idea.

"Why don't you invite your friends here? They are at the airport, right? It will be easier for them to come here and they could relax too," I suggested.

"Will that be okay? I mean you haven't met them earlier," he asked.

"It is completely okay. They are your friends and I don't mind them coming over. It will be nice to have more company. We could play some games too."