Chapter 11

" . . . but it's okay. We already know that there are mean people in the world. They're just something we've got to learn to deal with or to avoid." Bucket's mum was blow drying her hair once again. They were in the living room in the same position they had been in on the night of her birthday.

Sairah sat on the couch behind them. Their mom had helped Leigh to wash her hair earlier with much difficulty. They'd intended for all of them to go out to eat with Jesy's family but of course that could not happen since Leigh's hair and clothes had been messed up with milk.

In the kitchen, their grandma was making tea for Leigh.

Sairah groaned. "Mum why'd you stop me from beating on that kid? If I don't fight for Lee-Lee then people are gonna continue shitting on her."

"Now, now Sairah I know you're very emotional when it comes to your sister but that does not give you the right to act like a criminal." Debbie kept brushing and blow-drying. "Plus, if Lee-Lee relies on you to fight for her all the time then she'll never learn how to fight her own battles."

Sairah folded her arms. "Why should she fight her own battles when I'm right there? Yeah when I'm not she can fight but if I am I should be allowed to beat on people."

"See Sairah the thing is that it looks bad when such an older girl fights with someone smaller than she is. That's one of the main issues darling." Mrs. Pinnock was nearly done with the blow-drying. "Does that girl harass you constantly Lee-Lee?"

Leigh-Anne was playing with her toy on her lap.

"Lee-Lee?"

"Michelle is a little bit mean but she isn't very bad like the children from my old school. She doesn't hurt me as much and she doesn't always look to hurt me but she mainly says a few things that are a little bit mean but a lot of the time . . . a lot of the time I would just forget what she says because many other things are on my mind so I don't always remember what she said that would hurt my feelings. But I know that she doesn't like me so I don't really like her either so next time if she ever says she's giving me a gift I won't believe her and I'll tell a teacher." Leigh-Anne expressed while twirling her toy in her hand.

"Or you could knock her teeth out." Sairah shrugged.

"Sairah don't encourage violence. I keep saying that it's a last resort sort of thing you know?" The mother was now finished. She tapped the drier stretched out hair and then picked up some grease to rub in it.

Sairah rolled her eyes. "People really need to start raising their kids better. Who just pours milk on someone? Where did she even get that?" She didn't think she would get over this any time soon.

"Sairah I have no idea but I will report it to the principal if someone hasn't done so already." Mrs. Pinnock sighed. She examined her daughter's face and read no expression on it. "Feeling okay Lee-Lee?"

Leigh was humming as she made her toy dance on her lap. She stopped and then started to speak. "Mummy me and all of my friends who are girls so that means Jesy, Jade and Perrie, all of us said that we would meet at Perrie's house tomorrow. I forgot to tell you during the week because I was very busy during the week so that's why I didn't tell you but I'm not busy now so I can tell you. Can I go to Perrie's house?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Yes. Can I go to Perrie's house tomorrow Mummy?"

"Of course sweetheart. You know I support any form of interaction between you and your closest friends. I've met all of their parents by now and they all seem lovely. Nice people. When you meet those you've got to cling to them you know." Her mum said with a smile. Leigh having friends was really the best thing to her. There'd been a period of time where she hadn't had any so it made her really happy knowing that she had so many genuinely nice kids surrounding her these days.