Chapter 15 : Finding happiness

Ashley's mother woke up on Ashley's bed. Ashley's head on her mother's chest and hands wrapped around the waist. Ashley slept peacefully like an infant.
With zero recollection of what happened the other night Ashley's mother was astonished to find herself in this position. But having Ashley sleep next to her, she felt as if Ashley was the daughter she never had.

Ashley cooked breakfast for everyone and greeted her parents. Everyone wondered what changed over night.

"Bennett.."

"Yes mom?", replied Ashley shocking her mother.

"Mom? Why are you being so nice to me suddenly?", asked Ashley's mother suspiciously.

"It took me long to understand..no matter what you do a mother can never think ill for her children. As long as you love my husband, you will be my mother".

Touched by Ashley's words her mother hugged her tightly. Ashley yearned for this warmth her mother offered.

"I couldn't have asked for a better daughter-in-law.
Though you are quite clumsy, you have a clear heart".

"Was that a compliment?".

"I'll leave that for you to solve".

At work, Richard was nowhere to be found. Later Ashley received his mail for leave. Ashley called him but no one received the call.

Uncle was finally discharged. Time for Ashley's parents to leave came closer.

"I will make sure Ashley pays you a visit once he comes back", promised Ashley before falling asleep in her mother's arm.

The night before Ashley's parents departure Uncle came to Ashley.
"Son, now that you know their reasons do you want to go back to them?. I wouldn't judge your decision".

"Just because they are my biological parents that doesn't change our relationship Dad. You are my family now. I will visit them once in a while".

Ashley bonded with her biological father as well. She took care of her parents and got absorbed in her role of daughter-in-law.

Bidding goodbye to her parents broke Ashley into tears. She bawled like a lost child before getting hold of her emotions.

Ashley came back to her room to find Dan waiting for her. And she guessed correctly his purpose of visit. To remind her she passed another stage of being a woman as a daughter-in-law.

Things went back to the way they use to be. Uncle is back home. Ann and Abbie is around yet Ashley felt lonely. She kept on thinking about Richard. He didn't reply to her texts yet nor did he receive her calls.

Ashley's heart started to race when suddenly she got a call from Richard.

"Umm Ashley? I think I need your help. I have no one other than you to address as my friend so.."

"Yeah sure!".

"Well hear me out first?".

"No it's alright. Where should we meet ?".

"Can you pick up Rachel from her school ? Her nanny took a leave so I would appreciate your help".

While dropping off Rachel Ashley found out Richard fractured  his arm  when he fell from the stairs.

Ashley came in with Rachel to meet Richard only to find him shivering with high fever.

"Daddy's fever comes up and goes down ever since he broke his arm".

"No worries we will take care of Daddy".

Ashley cooked dinner for Rachel and then sang her a lullaby till she was asleep.