Chapter 12 : Justice for Rosa

Rosa crossed her legs as she sat opposite to Ashley.

"Who are you? Why did your family requested to see me?", asked Rosa. Her eyes swollen, dark circles around her eyes and she has lost half of what she use to weigh.

"Well I am Ashley..."

"Oh! you are someone related to that ruthless lawyer...I don't know what trick you all are trying to pull this time but my life is already ruined..you guys won't be able to ruin it further", said Rosa as she gritted her teeth. She stood on her feet to leave.

"Rosa wait! wait!...as you said we can't ruin someone's life who's life is already ruined. We want to make things right. We want justice for you. Ashley has been trying to atone for his sins and now he is in a dark place..trying to fix what he destroyed. He has handed over all the evidence related to your case", explained Ashley while tears glistened in her eyes.

Uncle, Ann and Abbie sat there in silence. Ashley has to be the one to convince her.

"Don't talk about that man! Lawyers like him encourages those criminals by taking their cases!. If lawyers refused to take cases  , of  the criminals ,where there is solid evidence against the criminal then justice would have been served to every victim out there!",exclaimed Rosa and became breathless.
Ashley can see the pain in her eyes. Every word she said were true.

"Ashley now understands the pain of a woman...he understands the fear of being raped...he understands all of it now...Ashley has sent me with all the evidence and appointed someone else to be your lawyer. One of his best colleague", explained Ashley.

Rosa took few moments before replying, "I'd like to meet Ashley first".

"He's trapped in a dark place. He said he'd meet you once we are able to bring you justice".

Rosa felt reassured after hearing this from Ashley- the woman.

"I'm ready to reopen the case".

"Then stay with us till the verdict...for your safety".

"Okay".

    Ashley sat in her veranda alone. Ann barged into Ashley's veranda with two mug of coffee. 

"Ashley why did you ask uncle to bring Rosa back to the country? What do you plan to do? She has been going through a lot already...."

"Ann I can't forget the fear I've seen in your eyes while we were about to be raped. I do understand her pain now. I can't live in peace if I don't correct my mistakes. I sold off a woman's life for money when I already have so much money".

"But now who will take Rosa's case!?".

"Someone we trust...Abbie!". 

     At work, in elevator, Ashley's eyes finally met Richard's. Past few days has been so tiring she didn't realise how much she missed Richard until their eyes met.

Suddenly Richard's phone rang. Display said bestfriend calling.

"Hello your highness".

"Daddy! You have to keep your promise", said voice from the other end.

"Well I'll try.."

"Daddy you promised that you'd ask Ms Ashley for dinner tonight. Go tell her you find her beautiful !. What's the worst that could happen?".

"She could hear me that's the worst that could happen", replied Richard with sarcasm. Ashley kept on stealing glances. 

As the elevator doors opened Ashley hurried out. Richard called her from behind,

"Ashley! Wanna grab dinner with me? Tonight?".

"Sure. Dinner at 8."

Ann bonded with Rosa. Rosa finally seemed to have someone to call her as her friend. Abbie studied the evidences in Uncle's study.

"Abbie honey can I take your car for my meeting?. Ashley is not at home, Ann's car and my car both are sent for the service", said Uncle .

"You don't have to ask your daughter before doing anything just take it ".

News of re-opening of Rosa's case has spread like wildfire. Not a single lawyer till now dared to take cases which are closed by Ashley Kimberly but Abbie was about to change the history. 

Abbie has received numerous calls from GREY Telecom. They've been offering her hefty amount of money to not to take the case but in vain. 

"So where do you want to eat", asked Richard.

"Definitely not in a fancy restaurant. I am craving for street food". 

The duo stopped to have street food for their dinner. 

Ashley took a spoon full of cashew nut salad before continuing her conversation with Richard.

"What was the worst pick up line you ever used?", asked Ashley inquisitively.

"Haha you don't want to know trust me".

"C'mon say it!".

"Uhm..so I was so bad at impressing girls..and there was this girl I had a huge crush on...so one day I mustered my courage to talk to her...I walked to her and told her "Are  you square root of 1 because you can't be real" she bursted into laughter. Everyone laughed at me straight for 1month".

Ashley stared at Richard in shock.

"Ashley are you listening to me??".

"No No I am listening. It just takes me a minute to process all the stupid at once", said Ashley then started to laugh,"This reminded me of my youth. There was this girl..she came up to me in the bar...she said hi what's your name...I said Ashley and she said I like your name..then I replied.. WANNA hear my number?."

"Wait a girl was trying to hit on you and you played along? Do you like girls? How are you good at these pick up lines".

Ashley realised Richard doesn't know she was a man and instantly she changed the topic.

Both of them laughed hard as they gossiped.After a while,Ashley's phone rang.

After receiving the call Ashley's face turned pale.

"What's wrong Ashley?".

"Richard take me to the hospital! Now please!".