CHAPTER 24: Shattered

MAVERICK

"She's your fucking daughter!" I yell at her dad after shoving him.

Next I took her hand and we walked out of the restaurant and while waiting for the valet guy to come back with our car, I held Evie in my arms as she cried into my chest.

When the guy brought our car up, I opened the door as she got in and we took off.

"I'm so sorry." She sniffles.

"For what?" I asked.

"For making a scene and for the way I behaved back there. They just bring out the worst in me every time which is why I didn't want to meet up with them." She tells me.

"It's not your fault. Besides, I could tell right away that they were fake but then when your father tried to hit you, I'm the one that needs to apologize because I couldn't let him just hit you." I apologize.

"Baby, you were amazing." She tells me as she takes hold of my hand and we begin driving back towards her dorm.

Once we got inside, both Leon and Nolene were sitting in the bed with Leon hugging Nolene as they both were crying.

"What's the matter?" I ask.

"It's your sister." Nolene says.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"She's..." She started.

"She's what?" I began fighting back tears and trying to ignore the painful lump in my throat that I am forced to swallow.

"I'm sorry man." Leon says while walking up and hugging me, along with Nolene and then Evie.

"When did you guys even find out?" I asked.

"Five minutes ago." Nolene says.

I felt like my world just came to a complete stop before I turned around and I hold Evie as she holds me for a few moments which calms me down. I then decide to leave towards the house.

"Want me to come with you?" Evie asks.

"No. I need to be alone for right now." I tell her.

When I get in the car, before starting it up, I start hitting the steering wheel really hard and yell out as loud as I can.

Why the fuck didn't anyone call me?! Why couldn't I have stayed with my sister instead of going out to dinner?!

I look down at my phone and notice I have several missed messages from the at-home nurse and once I began reading them, they mentioned that my sister had passed.

I'm a terrible brother. I promised I would be there for her when she passed and I wasn't. See, that's why it IS selfish of me to have ever thought I could get caught up in living my life when the cost was me breaking my promise to her and letting her die without saying goodbye.

The moment I walked into the house, I saw my Uncle Roy who looked to be crying and he hugged me before saying anything. In fact, we just stood there a while hugging each other and I just started crying and this is the first time in my life I have ever felt like he cares.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)