The Melee Round

The lots for the first round of the Melee tournament had been decided. Izumi had hoped she wouldn't be too early in the matches...and wound up drawing the #16 spot which put her in the final fight against Lord Monoma.

She wasn't sure whether to cheer or curse her luck. She'd wanted the chance to watch her competition and learn from their experiences...but being the last to fight she worried she'd feel intimidated by the other competitors especially when she knew her opponent was so strong.

How could she compare her own progress with those that were veterans in their field? This wasn't a game or a puzzle she could solve, it was a one on one show down.

She eyed the full lineup...

Battle 1

Prince Shoto Vs. Juzo

Battle 2

Ojiro Vs. Sero

Battle 3

Mavis Vs. Iida

Battle 4

Kaminari Vs. Hiryu

Battle 5

Bakugo

Battle 6

Kirishima vs. Tetsutetsu

Battle 7

Kaibara vs. Koda

Battle 8

Izumi Vs. Monoma

If her and Kacchan continued to win their fights they'd face each other in the semi-finals. It seemed strange that she was more excited than frightened by the possibility of her and Bakugo facing against each other. When she first started training for the events she didn't expect to even make it to the melee round... but now she had hope, and she was determined. She had to keep winning, she had to face against Kacchan and prove herself.

He had defended her against Monoma's comments and accepted her challenge... but she wanted him to acknowledge that she was no longer weak and to give her respect. She wanted to show he couldn't force her to do what he wanted. She had her own mind, her own heart, and it would be her choice whether to marry him or not.

"It seems we'll be fighting each other." Monoma suddenly spoke from behind her breaking her thoughts.

"Lord Monoma?" She turned to face him fully.

"Your Dagohban is not going to be able to protect you in the ring." He took her chin smirking. "... but Tetsutetsu says you've a good strategic mind."

"I don't need Kacchan to protect me and it was an honor to work with Tetsutetsu." She straightened her shoulders and jerked her head away from his hand. "You've a very honorable man working for you."

"He has his uses." He lets his hand drop and crosses his arms. "Do yourself a favor dear lady and resign from the competition. I'd hate to be considered a bully for beating on a woman."

Izumi's chin went up immediately and her eyes narrowed.

"You won't be, because I intend to fight you with everything I have."

"You can say that, but the truth of the matter is Lady Midoriya you're greatly outclassed. So leave before you get hurt."

"You don't frighten me, Lord Monoma, so stop trying." She told him turning and walking away.

"That one's got spine." Tetsutetsu commented walking up.

"You like her." Monoma commented offhandedly.