Tag Team

Izumi stood in place as the qualifiers from the race lined up. There were a total of 48 competitors left of the two hundred that had originally signed up. The second round would cut that 48 down to 16 with the team round.

"We've the results from the race. The first forty you see displayed on the monitors are the contestants who will move onto the next qualifying round." Kayama licked her lips in a sadistic fashion. "Now the real fun begins. Magical abilities are encouraged as they will help you determine your team's fate in..."

The screen went wild with colors and then flared out the font of the next competition. "Joust!"

"Joust?" Izumi raised a brow. "...but isn't jousting a single rider event?"

"You've never seen a jousting competition before have you Midoriya?" Iida pat her shoulder companionably.

"No, but I've read that-" she started but Iida shook his head.

"That's the olden days. Recent jousting events have become team battles. There are multiple teams on the field. Each team consists of one rider, a front horse, and two supporters. The rider can use weapons or magical abilities to knock down other riders from their seats.

"HEY!" Kayama snapped a whip making the two jump and tense up. "Why don't you two shut up and let me explain it!"

"Yes ma'am!" they lowered their heads in shame.

"Good... now then, the qualifying contestants will pair up into groups of four. Make your decisions wisely as the abilities of your teammates could mean the difference between victory and defeat." Kayama continued and the display board changed to show examples of the game from previous tournaments. "The teams will then combat each other using weapons and magic to throw their competition off. A team is disqualified if their rider hits the ground, is knocked unconscious, or if one or more teammate is separated from the group. When only four teams remain the game is over and those teams will then move onto the Melee tournament as individuals."

"Now I see...I'm at a serious disadvantage." Izumi murmured and tapped her lips. "With my size I can only be a rider but I've never seen nor participated in such an event. Hand to hand combat is my specialty but this requires a great deal of balance and-"

"Do you make it a habit of talking to yourself?" A voice from behind her made Izumi jump and she whirled around at the stranger, his face cloaked by a cape.

"Oh, forgive me, I sometimes don't realize I'm even doing it. I just get lost in my own thoughts." She rubbed the back of her head nervously.

"Don't apologize... if your mind is that busy it means you're already working out a strategy, which I admire." The man removed his hood and Izumi immediately recognized him.

"Lord Tokoyami!" She bowed respectfully. "I had no idea you were participating in the tournament this year. I didn't see you among the other combatants."

"I'm afraid without the use of my magic my participation in the first event was shrouded... but thankfully I prefer to hide in the shadow... so to speak. As I am one of the qualifying finalists..." He lifted a hand from out of his cape offering it to her. "I would like the honor of joining your team."

Izumi's eyes glittered with admiration and she held her heart. She'd admired Lord Tokoyami for some time, knowing he was a strong and wise wizard from the Shadowlands, and first knight to Queen Kayama.

"I'm the one that is honored, my lord." She bowed respectfully still a bit stunned with disbelief.

"Your humbleness is refreshing. Do you know any others who would join us? I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the majority of the fighters here." Tokoyami nodded to the posting again and Izumi read and shook her head.