31. Lost

"We are all looking for someone whose demons play well with ours."

Taehyung's POV

Taehyung's POV

My eyes restlessly scanned the pages of the old heavy book before me, but my brain couldn't make out any words.

Instead all it focused was on the pictures scattered across the dry rustling paper – images of red little men with horns on their heads, gruesome scenes, demon eating babies, bound and tortured men, butchered women, blood and gore and more and more and more...

"Son?"

I jumped from the scare, my knees jolting upwards to hit the desk. My heart pounded erratically in my chest as I turned around to look at the tall bearded man behind me, his black robe stretching all the way down to the soles of his shoes.

"I'm sorry Father, I was reading and I didn't hear you coming."

"No, it's me who should be apologizing for startling you," the priest smiled, a kind humbleness to his eyes. "Found anything worth your while?"

I glanced down at the gorey scenes once again. I gulped heavily; they made my skin crawl and that's coming from someone who's used to seeing blood every day.

I closed the book, sliding it across the desk.

"No. It's not exactly a pleasant read."

"You're doing research?"

"No, I just-" I groaned, not quite finding the right words to explain myself. "You're gonna think I'm crazy, staying here so late, asking you questions about the devil..."

"I don't think you're crazy at all," The priest stated, locking his fingers in front of him. "You're just... confused, that's all. A little bit lost."

"Yeah," I mumbled, lowering my gaze. "That's one way to put it."

"Taehyung, do not feel uncomfortable talking to me. I know you're here for Faye Starlighter."

"What?" I croaked, completely stunned.

"I do," the priest nodded, installing himself on the chair across the desk. "In fact I think you and I could help each other."

"How?"

"See Taehyung, I work at a religious organization that deals with exorcism. We mainly deal with people who think they are possessed or they've encountered the devil. We've been keeping tabs on Faye Starlighter for years now. We know all about her."

"You do?" I gaped, my fingers clasping around the fabric of my pants nervously. Cold sweat had started building on my palms.

"At first we thought she was a harmless imposter," the priest went on. "But we've come to the conclusion that she's very dangerous to humans and their kind."