Chapter 34

5 Years Later

The Proposal

I’ve been pacing a hole in Brad’s loft floor for an hour. Where the hell is he? We had moved here three years ago after Gabby’s father passed away in prison. He had been suffering from renal failure due to the excessive drinking.

The three of us went back home for the funeral. My mom and even Brad’s parents all attended, in support for Gabby and Alex. Even though he had done unspeakable things, it wasn’t always like that for them. They mourned the dad they used to know and in a way it gave them some closure. The day after the funeral, we went back to our apartment in Athens, Ga. Gabby had moved in with Brad and me and it turned out I was a big fan of cohabitating. 

She was understandably quiet after we got back, with so much on her mind. Then, the phone rang. She got a call from a high-end art studio in NYC. Alex was in his sophomore year at Columbia, and Brad and I were considering starting a construction business there. 

Gabby wanted to continue pursuing art and applied to work for an art studio called Galeria LaPuente. The call she got the day after the funeral was them offering her the job. We all agreed on the change of scenery and moved within the next two months. Gabby and I rented a house in the city, with Brad getting a loft in Manhattan. 

It took a little over a year to get our business up and running with steady jobs. Once we did, we were making pretty decent money. I started saving for this very night. 

Two months ago I went to Alex to ask his permission to propose to Gabby. He had the biggest grin on his face when he said, "Aren’t you guys technically married already? You’ve been together forever.”

I laughed at that. “Yeah, true. But, I want to give her a wedding and be tied to her every way imaginable.”

He extended his hand to me and I shook it proudly. “You have my blessing. Did you get a ring yet?”

“No, but I got my eye on a few.” 

"Hold on a sec," Alex said as he disappeared into his bedroom. 

I heard the sound of dresser drawers opening and closing before he reappeared and held out a small black velvet box to me. 

"Are you asking me to marry you? I'm flattered and everything, but I kind of got the hots for your sister, you know?" I said with a grin. 

"Shut up and open it, asshole." 

I opened the box a sucked in a breath when I saw a beautiful gold engagement ring with a ruby in the center surrounded by small diamonds that also ran along the band. "Where the hell did you get this?" 

"It was our mother's," he answered, sliding his hands in his pants pockets. "After our father died I got a box of stuff sent here. That was in it." 

"Are you sure?" I asked, looking up at him.

"My mother would have wanted her to have it." 

I pulled him in for a hug. "Thanks, Alex. This means a lot." 

He pulled away from me and cleared his throat, clearly overwhelmed by the situation. "You're welcome. Now, get out of here and make my sister happy." 

***

Gabby and I were sitting at our table at L'Artusi, which was located in the West Village. The Italian restaurant was extremely romantic and I had made reservations months ago. I wanted this night to be special, and I knew that Gabby loved Italian food. Not to mention, she's mentioned this place to me more than once since we moved here.