Chapter 15

The Tragedy
Gabby

Hayden and I got back from our trip a week ago. I was nervous before I left to go meet him in another city, but it was amazing. More than amazing, actually. I wasn't constantly worried about someone seeing us. I kept in touch with Alex to make sure he was okay.

I thought back to our trip and couldn't have planned a better one. Going out to dinner, ordering room service, laying in the sun...it was more than I ever thought possible with my current situation.

I sat in my car a few houses down from my fathers. I was waiting for my dad to leave so I could come inside and get some new clothes. I could have taken everything to the motel, but since I can't afford it some nights, its better this way. And I get to see Alex.

Alex had been doing pretty good lately. No recent crazy anger fits from our father. Unfortunately, I've barely gotten to see Alex outside of school lately. I've been doing UberEats so much since I got back trying to afford the motel. Hayden tried to offer me money, but I couldn't take it.

I still couldn't believe that I was with him. I've seen him around school since freshman year, and he's always been Mr. Golden Boy, one of the most popular kids in school. He had countless girls chasing after him and didn't really care about anything.

Why is he with me? I believed that he really cared about me. I could tell something changed with him this year. I just don't get why he started noticing...me. I've always kind of been invisible in school. Unnoticed. So, for someone like Hayden Price to take an interest in me, was insane. But here we were. Two misfits drawn together at a pivotal moment in life, trying to make it work.

The sound of my dad's faded black 1977 F-100 starting had me looking in that direction. He lit a cigarette before reversing and heading to the local liquor store. Old habits. I waited an additional five minutes before getting out of my car and sneaking inside. Alex was waiting at the top of the stairs for me.

"Hey, sis," he said as he hugged me.

I hugged him back, missing him more every day. "Hey, you. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he said as he pulled away. "He's been...better the past few days."

That's a relief. "Good. I was worried about you. I wanted to check on you and get some clothes."

"Don't worry about me, Gabby. You have enough on your plate already. By the way, how's Hayden?"

I couldn't hide my smile. "He's good. He asked when he can hang out with you, again."

Alex frowned at that. "I quit the team, so I have to come straight home after school now. I'll try to think of something."

I walked to my bedroom and started putting some new clothes in my bag and grabbing some of my books. Having a lot of time to myself, I loved to read. Getting lost in stories about other lives and other worlds helped keep my mind off things.

Alex had gone to his room for a minute, so when I heard a noise behind me, I turned around, thinking it was him. I froze stock still as ice cold terror coursed through me. My father was standing in front of me.

"I thought I told you not to come here," he said with his normal deep, gravely voice.

"I- I," I could barely speak.

"You what? Been whoring around with some football player? Tell me!"

I saw Alex in the doorway behind my dad and shook my head, signaling him not to intervene. My dad got angry when I didn't respond, and back-handed me across the face, making me fall on the bed.