Chapter 16

It was now Thursday, the State Championship was tomorrow, and I didn't give a flying fuck about it. I was waiting in my car for Brad in the school parking lot, my finger tapping the steering wheel with my impatience. I needed to talk to him about Gabby and her dad.

Brad parked next to me and got in my car immediately. "Hayden, what's going on? You sounded more cryptic than usual on the phone."

I looked around to make sure no one was close by. I didn't want to risk this getting out. "Look, you were right. I'm with Gabby. We've been together for a while."

He gave me a droll look. "Tell me something I don't know."

"Brad, this is serious. No one can know about us. We couldn't risk it getting back to her dad. He has...issues."

Brad put his hand on my shoulder. "Hayden, you're my brother. You can trust me."

I wanted to tell him everything, but at the same time, it felt like I was betraying Gabby if I did. "Look, I promised I wouldn't say anything. I've already said too much. We need to figure out a way to get her and Alex out of that house, and away from her dad."

By Brad's expression I could tell he knew exactly what I was talking about. "What do you need me to do?"

"That's the hard part. I need to think of something that keeps Alex out of the foster system."

Brad thought about that for a moment. "What about my Aunt Jill?"

I frowned at the question. "What about her?"

"She's fostered kids before. I could talk to her-"

"I can't ask that of you." No way in hell could I ask him for a favor like that.

"You didn't ask. I offered. Listen to me, Hayden. You're my family. If Gabby is with you, then she and Alex are my family, too. One thing my parents taught me, is that you look out for family."

I didn't know how I was going to make this up to him. "When can you talk to her?"

"I can go today after practice."

"Okay. Don't say any names. Just tell her the situation and see if she can help."

Brad nodded as he moved to get out of the car. "Discreet is my middle name."

"Your middle name is Eugene."

"Hey!" he said and pointed a finger at me. "To the grave, remember?"

He clapped me on the shoulder, and I said, "Thank you, for this. I owe you."

He looked at me with that goofy smile he had since we were kids. "Just don't get yourself killed during the game and we'll call it even."

I thought about his offer after he left. I knew his aunt since I was a kid, and she was an amazing person. She couldn't have children of her own, so she decided to foster kids. She hasn't done it in a while, but I remember Brad mentioned she spoke about getting back into it. If she could do this, Gabby wouldn't lose her brother.

Now, I just needed to figure out how to make it happen. How to get her dad either arrested, or his rights taken away. I know I should feel guilty about trying to get him arrested, but honestly, I didn't. He needed to learn this shit was not okay and it would not be tolerated, especially towards your own kids. It wasn't right.

I'll wait to see what Brad's aunt says and go from there. I had to admit, the one good thing about mine and Gabby's relationship being back in the closet, is that the less I saw her this week, the less chance I would have to lie to her.

***

The school day went by excruciatingly slow. It was finally over and I spoke to Brad briefly before he left to go to his aunt's. Hopefully he came back with good news. I spoke to coach about the game tomorrow and as usual, he expected me to play. I stopped fighting him on that. I was hoping that my dad would come back home if it all worked well. My mom needed him.