Chapter 21

I walked in a daze after I left Gabby. I tried so hard to keep my emotions in check when I was in there. It was hard to accept that she could possibly never remember what we shared. 

I walked into my father’s room and sat down in the chair. My mom wasn’t in there, she must have went to get food. I looked at my dad and tried to think about what he would say to me if he were awake. Most likely, it wouldn’t be what I want to hear. 

My mom walked in, and she must have noticed my expression. She came and knelt in front of me, resting her hands on my knees. “Hayden, what happened? Is she alright?” 

I tried to hold back the tears, but I couldn’t. “She doesn’t remember me, Mom. They say her memory might come back, but- What if she doesn’t remember me? Remember us?” 

“Oh, Hayden. You have to have faith. I’m sure her memory will come back. You just have to believe it.”

***

Two weeks later

She still didn’t remember me. It’s been two-fucking-weeks and she didn’t remember me. I kept visiting her in the hospital and I would tell her stories about us and things we did. Well, not the sex stuff. I just…couldn’t bring it up. It was almost unbearable knowing she didn’t remember the most intimate details about our relationship. 

My dad ended up waking up from his coma. He seemed to be doing better. Well, according to my mother. He didn’t want to see me, and he didn’t want to talk to me. I didn’t know what to think about that. I didn’t know how to process that my father basically disowned me. 

The sliding doors of the hospital drew my attention as a nurse was bringing Gabby out in a wheelchair. I got out of the car and opened the car door for her. 

“Here, let me help you,” I said as I offered her my hand. She was wearing a boot now and still had some pain, but it was manageable. She tried to hobble to the car and lost her balance, falling against me. Our eyes met for a moment and I cleared my throat, uncomfortable with the familiar feeling. 

“Sorry,” she said a little breathlessly. She regained her footing and got into the passenger seat. Alex stayed back at Jenny’s house to give me some time with Gabby.

“So,” she said as I got in the driver’s seat, “where are we off to?”

I mentioned to her that I had a few things planned for us. I wanted to spend some time with her and hopefully jog her memory. 

“First stop, is where we had our first date.”

She laughed and said, “The bonfire.”

“Yep.” 

She reached for my hand and my heart was hammering in my chest. God, I missed her touch. 

“Is this okay?” She asked, referring to our joined hands. 

“More than okay,” was my raspy reply and I squeezed her hand. 

She had a hard time in the hospital when she saw herself in the mirror. She had a few hysterical days that required some sedation. I’ll never forget that feeling. My panic when she would wake up screaming from a nightmare she didn’t understand, or the hysterical crying whenever she saw her reflection. 

Sometimes, she was so scared because she couldn’t remember, she wouldn’t sleep for days, and that’s when they had to sedate her.

“What are you thinking about,” she asked. 

Her question gave me déjà vu. She asked me that same question on the beach. One part of our short relationship she didn’t remember.

“Nothing, I’m just happy you’re here with me.”