Chapter 14

I finally made it to the hotel, and I don't know if I was more excited or nervous. I made my way to the room after getting a key from the office. Spending three days with Gabby with nothing to worry about sounded incredibly amazing. I got in the room and saw her bags sitting against the bed, but no Gabby. I went to look out the window, and saw her sitting on the beach.

I walked out to where she was sitting, she didn't move as I sat next to her.

"It's peaceful here," she said quietly.

I looked from her to the water. "Very. Are you okay?"

She looked at me for a moment before she leaned in to kiss me. This kiss was soft, gentle and brief.

She didn't answer me, and I didn't want to push her. So, I smiled at her and asked, "Hungry?"

When she smiled back at me, it was like she was showing me the real Gabby. I could see everything in her expression. All her emotions. It's like she was bare in front of me and it made something tighten in my chest. That's when I knew a terrifying truth. I was falling in love for her. 

***

We were eating at a restaurant down the beach from the hotel, and even though we were safely outside of town, I noticed she still kept looking around as if someone would catch us. "How's Alex been?"

"He's good. I talked to him after I got here."

"Are you worried about him?"

She sighed as she glanced over the menu. "I'm always worried about him, Hayden."

"We don't have to stay both nights. I understand if you want to get back to him."

She reached across the table and grasped my hand. "No. I need this. We need this. And he'll be fine. It's Thanksgiving, which means my father will be passed out from drinking until tomorrow night."

I really hated her dad. Maybe Brad could help me figure out a way to do something about this. "I'm sorry, babe."

"Let's talk about anything else. How's your mom?"

I sat the menu down and took a drink of my soda before answering. "She's good. I got my dad to come to lunch today, and I think that made her happy."

"I'm surprised he came. Did you tell him what Dr. Toben said?"

I looked away from her when she asked that. Gabby is one of the few that knew the truth about the seriousness of my knee.

"Hayden, you have to tell him the truth. You can't play at state."

"Gabby, I don't want to talk about this tonight. You're right, we're here. I just want to have these three days with you, without all the problems that are waiting for us at home."

"You're right. Absolutely," she said with a smile before leaning across the table to kiss me.

"That's better," I said with a sly smile.

The rest of dinner went by relatively well. We talked a little about nothing important while we ate. She seemed to be more relaxed as the evening went on.

We walked along the beach until we got back to the hotel and went to the room. She turned and smiled at me. "I want to go swimming."

"Gabby, if we get caught in the ocean at night, we can get in big trouble. Not to mention, the sharks."

"Then let's go to the pool," she said with a laugh.

"They lock it after dark."

She came up to me and started unzipping her jacket. in a sultry voice she asked, "When has that ever stopped us?"