Chapter 7.Sleep-Walker

"That should have been our first kiss," Asher whispered, fanning his minty breath over my face.

"Could have been if you hadn't forcably kissed me earlier," I lightly laughed. He agreed and apologized for his forward action. "This doesn't mean that I've completely lost sight of your reputation though."

"What do I have to do? I am not a player. If you're my girlfriend I am faithful to you for as long as I possibly can be. Sure I've had my fair share of relationships; but who hasn't? If I truly care for someone I will stay with them for as long as they can stand to be with me. I'm not one to jump from girl to girl just like that!"

"How long ago was your last relationship?" I questioned.

"About three months," he responded rather quickly as if he had rehearsed this answer many times. I thought about it for a moment; three months was a decent amount of time, but my cautiousness was still high.

"Okay."

"Okay? So, do you think any differently of me now?"

"How long did that relationship last?" I continued my interrogation.

"Almost two months," he said solumnly.

"Why did you two break up?"

"Sh-She cheated on me..." he replied. I frowned instantly. I had been cheated on before and it was one of the worst feelings in the world, one I would never wish upon anyone! Just thinking back to the pain he caused brought tears to my eyes. "Hey now, it's alright, she's long gone. No need to let her mistake upset you."

"It's not that; well, it's partially that. I've been cheated on before; it shattered my heart, I hate to think that other people have felt that pain, too."

"You know, Scarlett; you put on a tough face everyday, when in reality, you're broken on the inside, you feel a constant sadness and fear that you'll never find someone who truly loves you. I'll bet you've heard 'I love you' from many guys but they turned out to be duds and now you don't trust anyone who says that to you. I'll bet that you secretly desire for someone to tell you they love you and mean it whole-heartedly. Is any of that correct?" By then, I had tears flooding my eyes. No one had ever figured me out so quickly making it seem effortless. Damn Asher could see right through me. As a tear escaped my eye, Asher gently wiped it away with his thumb. "I'll take that as a yes," he smiled at me sweetly and placed a quick, gentle kiss on my lips.

"You aren't allowed to know all of that, I put on a tough face for a reason. I don't want to seem weak, I don't want people to know the things I've been through, and how they've ruined me," I choked out a sob and Asher wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"Scar, you don't always have to be so tough and strong. You're a human being; you're allowed to have a variety of feelings. And you can come to me with anything, you can tell me anything. Here, to start, tell me everything! Tell me all about Scarlett McCana." I paused for a moment; I didn't realize he knew my last name, but that was beside the point. I wasn't sure what exactly he meant by 'everything.'

"How?" I inquired.

"How what?" he responded.

"How do I tell you everything? What am I supposed to tell you?"

"You aren't supposed to tell me anything, but tell me whatever you want to about you, about your troubles with love, past relationships, past heartbreaks, past tears, past anything that you might be keeping bottled up. I want you to let out everything that you hide behind that hard shell of yours."

"I'm not ready to do that," I shook my head instantly dismissing the idea of spilling my heart out to Asher.

"I wish you were," Asher frowned.