Chapter 5.More Than A Story

"Just a large, sweet chai please."

"Whole milk alright?" The attractive barista behind the counter asked me.

"Perfect," I smiled at him.

"Great, it'll be ready in a few," he replied and walked away from the register to start making my chai.

"Um, excuse me."

"Yeah?"

"I still need to pay..."

"Nope, this one's on me," he winked his blue eyes at me and continued with my drink. I smiled, thanked him, and set up with my laptop in my favorite booth.

Surprisingly there was no one except me in the cafe, but I certainly enjoyed the quiet.

"Your chai," he said and sat down across from me in the booth. "So what's a pretty girl like you doing here alone?"

"I have lunch and then an off period, so I figured I would come here to write for a while."

"Well, lucky for you, my dad owns the place so you can have all the chai you want! I'm Jack, by the way," he smiled showing off perfectly white teeth.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Scarlett," I smiled back at him. He huffed dramatically and slouched down in the booth, then sat back up and put his hand over his heart. I was surprised and slightly frightened by his action and sat bewildered until he explained himself.

"Your name is as beautiful as you are!" I couldn't help but chuckle. He was cute, but he had the face of a heartbreaker; no reason we coudn't be friends.

"Thanks," I blushed and returned my fingertips to my keyboard.

"What are you writing?" he asked and moved to the spot beside me in the booth.

"A novel; well I hope someday it will become a novel. Right now it's more of a short story."

"What's it about?"

"Finding love, and basically being a badass."

"Are you writing it because you want to find love?" his question caught me off guard, but I knew the answer.

"Yes, I feel like as long as I can pour my heart out into a book, that can relieve some of the painful want for me to find love in real life."

"But maybe then you're creating a much higher standard for guys in your life to live up to than they're capable of. Maybe it would be best to just pour your heart out to someone who catches your attention and give them the chance to be that perfect main character in your life. The one who makes Scarlett fall in love and not..." he skimmed over the page I was working on, "Anna." I suppose he had a point, but I had some trust issues, so opening up to guys was not something that ever made it to my "To Do" list.

"When I meet that person, I will let you know," I smiled, trying to dismiss his suggestion.

"Good! And I will be ready for it; you'll meet that person. I promise you that." Perfectly on cue, the bell at the cafe entrance rang singaling that there was another customer, so Jack had to get back behind the counter.

I looked to see who had walked in and it was a girl from my school, her name was Lauren. She was one of the sweetest people I had ever met, so I was glad it was her who walked in.

"Hi Scarlett!" she exclaimed when she spotted me.

"Hey Lauren! How are you?"

"Exhausted. Going from sleeping all day to waking up before the sun is not my cup of tea." She sat across from me and set her purse on the table. "How are you?"