Chapter 3.Nightmare

A muscular body shifted beneath me, stirring me from my slumber. I slowly opened my eyes; it was still dark out so it couldn't have been any later than 5AM. I tried to move off the couch but found that I couldn't because a large pair of arms were wrapped around my torso holding me tightly to a very toned chest. I panicked for a moment, forgetting that Asher had followed me home last night but soon calmed down when I realized it was him.

I kept trying to focus on the things Dylan had told me about him. "He's a player, Scarlett Rose," I reminded myself. "He could never be boyfriend material." "You don't have ANY feelings for him." Unfortunately, none of those thoughts kept me from snuggling back into his chest.

I sat alone on the couch watching the classic horror film, Scream, when I heard the front door creak open. My eyes widened when I heard it shut again - someone was in my home. I grabbed my dad's signed hockey stick from the hutch and held it as I prepared myself for a brawl with the intruder.

I crept around the corner ready to attack when I heard Asher's voice, "Scarlett? Are you home?"

"Asher?" I responded.

"Yeah, baby, it's me. Are you alright? Why've you got that hockey stick?" He asked when he met me in the main hallway.

"I thought you were a burglar or something! You nearly scared me half to death!" I playfully poked his stomach with the hockey stick and set it against the wall so I could hug him.

When he returned the hug it felt odd. He didn't hug me the way he normally did. "Ash, is everything alright with you?"

"It will be," he said in a voice that sent a chill directly to my core. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain shoot into my back and I shoved Asher away from me. He held in his hand a large kitchen knife that was now freshly coated in my dark, red blood.

I sucked in a sharp breath and stumbled away from him running towards the back door.

"Come back, Scarlett," he called to me terrifyingly.

"Why are you doing this?!" I cried out just as I reached the sliding glass door that led to my safety.

"Too bad Dylan didn't mention that I'm a literal back- stabber." He was right behind me and I felt the same pain several more times. He was going to kill me. And I was stupid enough to allow him access to my heart. How wonderfully that worked in my favor. My own love was going to literally be the death of me.

I shot up in my spot shaking. My cheeks stained with tears and my neck and forehead glistening with sweat. It was only a nightmare. Those nightmares were the reason I decided to avoid any feelings towards guys. That was the fastest any guy I've had some interest in has shown up in one of those paralyzing nightmares.

"Scarlett? Are you okay? What's wrong? What happened?" Asher panicked as he sat up and pulled me into him. I forgot that he was still at my house. "Talk to me, please."

"Sorry, just a nightmare; I'm alright."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked sweetly while he rubbed gentle circles into my back to calm me down.

"No, I'm fine. Want breakfast?" I stood from the couch and began walking towards the kitchen.

"Uh, sure," he replied sounding confused. I was not about to tell him I had a nightmare where he tried to kill me.

I grabbed the eggs from the refrigerator, and put two slices of bread in the toaster. While I gathered everything and cooked, Asher sat at the breakfast bar and watched me.

"Take a picture; it'll last longer," I snapped when I looked over at Asher and found that he was still looking at me.

"Alright," he replied and pulled out his phone.

"I wasn't serious!"

"Neither was I," he laughed at my expense.

"Whatever," I huffed and continued stirring the eggs around the pan. "Hopefully you're fine with the simple egg, sausage, and toast breakfast because that's all I'm making."

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the couch," he scoffed.

"No. I woke up with the wrong person on my couch." He had no response so I made our plates in silence.

I left an empty seat between us at the breakfast bar while we ate and didn't even bother looking his way.

"Did I do something?" He finally broke the silence.

"I never liked you. Just because we cuddled last night doesn't mean that's changed. I fell asleep and you chose not to leave. That was your doing, not mine."

Hurt flashed through his golden brown eyes and he turned back towards his plate. "I should go," Asher said without even looking at me.

"Okay," I replied plainly. He stood up, thanked me for the food, and left. Finally I had the house to myself.

I only had about ten minutes of peace before the doorbell rang. I groaned and got up from the breakfast bar to see who it was.

"I thought you were leaving," I let out an exasperated sigh when I opened the door to find Asher standing on my porch.

"I forgot something," he replied and stepped forward swiftly pulling my face to his in an attempt to kiss me yet again. I jerked away from him and blinked wildly. What the hell?! I thought quickly and slapped him on the cheek.

"I told you - I don't like you." And with that I shut the door and returned to my seat. "Stupid boys," I shook my head as I spoke to my cat.

I wandered up to my bedroom to shower and change my clothes. Once I was finished getting ready I looked at my calendar to see how many days were left before school would be back in. Only three. Three days left until my senior year officially began!

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry it's a short update, I really want to go on with the next chapter! Show me some love! Vote, comment, spread the word if you like it(: love you!

Xx-Sam