Chapter 23.What Love Is

Dylan and I sat awkwardly in the kitchen as I waited for him to kick start the conversation he initiated.  Asher was taking a long time to choose a movie and all I wanted was for him to return and diffuse the tension.

"I heard about what happened with Jane and CJ," Dylan stated.

"Did you hear the true story or the made up one that makes me look like the villain?"

"The true story. Well, first I heard the made up story but it didn't make sense to me because is didn't sound like you, and then Lauren was able to set the record straight during third period."

I nodded, but I wasn't sure why he felt the need to talk to me about it.

"Come to rub it in my face that you were right for warning me before? Pour salt in my wounds? Kick me while I'm down?"

"Are you done with your metaphors, Scar?"

"I'm done."

"Although we don't get along, I am so sorry that that happened to you. No one deserves that. But you should know that CJ isn't done with you yet. He was actually the one who sent me to talk to you." I jumped off the stool and began backing away from Dylan.

"Why? Why would you come here on his behalf? What more does he want?! Hasn't he caused enough damage?" The tears were returning and I couldn't control them.

"I'm supposed to tell you to watch your back and make sure you lock all of your doors at night."

"All of my doors? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is he planning on a sniper attack in the dead of night?"

"I don't know what exactly he is planning, he gave me limited details. I'm just as confused by it as you are."

"Leave. I want you to leave right now. How dare you come here with a twisted message from CJ?! Get out," I seethed.

"Scarlett, it's just a warning so you aren't blind-sided by whatever shit he pulls next," Dylan said apologetically. He clearly wasn't expecting to rile me up as bad as he did. He began walking towards me with his hands up in surrender as if that was supposed to comfort me.

"Get out!" I screamed. I heard Asher's footsteps rapidly approaching the kitchen after I let out my scream.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he asked as he ran to my side and protectively pushed me behind him.

"I just came to warn her that CJ is planning something else to do to her, and soon."

"You heard her, get the hell out of here! Do you know the hell she went through this weekend? She doesn't need you coming here and giving her added stress."

"I thought I was doing the right thing warning her. I'm sorry." Dylan then turned and exited the house. He may have thought he was in the right in the situation but he needed to step back and see the it from my point of view. 

"Are you okay?" Asher asked without turning to face me. 

"Yeah, thank you for getting him out of here."

"I always have your back." He still wouldn't face me and I was beginning to get worried. 

"Well would you look at me?"

He turned around and I immediately noticed the red in his eyes.

"What's the matter?" I asked worriedly. 

"I feel like I'm going to lose you before I even have you. No matter how many times I beat the hell out of CJ he continues to scheme and I feel like if I leave you alone even just for a moment he's going to get his hands around your neck again." His words brought tears to my eyes; not only was I afraid of what CJ could try but I was also afraid to be torn away from Asher. He was the only person in my life who knew everything going on and yet he was still brave enough to stay. I needed him just as much as he seemed to need me, if not more.