Chapter 147

Eve's POV

I have no idea what prompted this, but I'm not complaining.

'Should I lean against him? Will that make him uncomfortable?'

I looked to the side and met teal blue eyes, so much darker without the lights, like the ocean at night on a full moon or the crest of a wave with the glowing warm orange of the afternoon sun shining down on it. Matte in the darkness but somehow still shining and washed with something that gives me a strange feeling. Warm but also like I need to say I'm ok.

I leaned into his side. The corners of my lips turning up in a soft smile.

 We were silent, staring at each other's eyes and strangely it doesn't feel at all awkward. It's almost like we're having a conversation that neither of us are aware of, but still understand.

We stayed like that for a little while before somehow unanimously deciding it's time to read again—

"We should go to sleep."

...

Maybe, our Eve-speak is not as fluent as I thought.

Next morning, we had our meeting about where to head next (everyone else did most of the talking) and there's actually several towns around here and we know this area fairly well already

There was a little bit of arguing but in the end, we managed to agree that it's too dangerous to get on the road and try to get very far when we don't have a way of telling when or how bad it's gonna snow.

The roads, visibility, and ice alone are already causing all kinds of problems, so it's best to stick close by and move slower/more carefully than we have after leaving other places.

This house made a great winter base and it's been effective. So the next town we hit, we're gonna look specifically for places like it and choose something to hole up in again while we drain the area of resources.

Feels kind of like being a pack of migratory animals. But I mean, can you even argue that we're not, at this point???

I for one feel much safer moving like this than just drifting along, hoping to catch some luck.

And it'll be easier on the kids and Lori. She can't run around like she used to. We can't risk it now that she's carrying.

I almost forgot she was pregnant before but she's showing now. Really showing.

I don't know anything about having kids or pregnancy other than how to not get pregnant and like the basic facts and stuff, and the things I've learned from various people in the group since Lori got pregnant. So I have no idea what trimester she's in or anything like that.

I know it's weird not knowing these things. Me being a healthy adult woman and all, and having gone through sex ed but to be honest I had greater concerns at the time and I only really retained the sciency side of it. How the baby grows in the uterus and everything, and like cleanliness and stuff.