11

I fried spam

I fried spam. I don't want to try cooking a full meal, it's too risky. Aaron's right. I might burn the freaking kitchen. I called him after I was done preparing the table.

Hindi siya sumagot. Pinuntahan ko na siya sa sala at nakita kong nakatulog na pala siya. Nakalungayngay ang ulo niya kaya inayos ko ito. I sat infront of him and looked at his serene face.

Oh, how I missed him.

"I'm so sorry," I murmured.

He shifted and I abruptly removed my hand. He slowly opened his eyes and focuses them on me. I immediately stood up and put as much distance as I could between us.

Hindi ako makatingin sa kanya. "Kain na."

Tumayo siya at kumain na kami. Nang matapos ay naghugas ako at papasok na sana sa kuwarto nang higitin niya ang kamay ko.

"Stargazing tonight." He said before he turned away without waiting for my answer.

That sounds like a good idea.

---

We sat at the wooden chair outside the house. Stars littered the ether.

"So, how was life in New York?" I inquired while my eyes were still fixed on the night sky. I sighed and played with the hem of the cheap fifty peso shirt I was wearing.

"It was..." His sentence hung in the air. "... fine."

I went through pain like hell because he wasn't with me, and his life had been fine. I feel the familiar twinge of pain but I forced it down. I have no right to feel this way.

All I can hear was the croaking of frogs in the distance and the rustle of leaves.

"Ikaw? How are you? What happened to the guy you love?" He queried.

"I set him free. Iyon kasi ang makakabuti para sa kanya," malungkot na sabi ko. It's hard to bottle up all the emotions.

"You really love him, huh?"He smirked.

Hindi makapaniwalang tiningnan ko siya. I wanted to tell him that I do. Because until now, I'm still so in love with him.

"Siya ba 'yung dahilan kung bakit nagbago ka?" Tanong niya. Tumango ako bago muling tumingin sa langit.

"I was always around even when he doesn't know. But guess what? I found out that he already has a girlfriend. Simula no'n, itinigil ko na ang katangahan ko sa kanya."

His eyes that were transfixed on me held a myriad of emotions. I smiled sadly. "I loved him that I lost myself when I lost him."

Nag-iwas siya ng tingin. "I hated you, Cassidy. And I still do. I don't know if I can still bury this hate I feel for you." He blurted out. He stood up and headed back inside but I chased after him.

I held his arm and he stiffened. I spoke in a calm manner. "I'm sorry I hurt you," I said in the sincerest tone I could muster.

He turned and stared at my face. His face was illuminated by the moonlight. "But you don't seem sorry that you left," he pointed out.

"I'm not," I admitted.

His muscles tensed. I'm not sorry I left him because I see how successful he is now. Because I cansee that he was able to fulfill his ambitions.

Hurt flashed in his eyes for a sliver of a second.I loosened my grip on him.He turned his back on me and I felt my world crumbling all around me.

On the day of his flight to New York, I was there. Hiding in the middle of the crowd. I watched courageless as he took each step away from me. He left knowing that the person he loves is inlove with another man.

My tears trickled across my cheek as my shoulder drooped."I love you." I said before I could chicken out.

Tila nagsikip ang dibdib ko. I can't let it happen again. I can't let him walk away. I can't just let this moment pass.

Hindi niya'ko nilingon. He didn't even stop walking.He was about to turn the door knob when I spoke in a trembling and nervous voice.

"I want you to know that I loved you and I still do."

I waited for him to face me, and when he did, all I saw in his eyes were doubt and ire.

He looked at me with so much hate that I wanted to run away. And then he mouthed one word that ended me. "Liar."