7

"You did not

"You did not." Hindi makapaniwalang saad ko. "You wouldn't dare!"

"I had to do it. Hindi ko hahayaang mawala ng tuluyan sa akin ang kompanya." He had the look of a cornered madman.

"You promised my mother you will look after me, but what have you done? What have you done?" Hindi mapigilang sambit ko. "On her death bed, you swore that you would look after me!"

He stood up and was about to walk away when I wrenched his arm. I felt the small amount of respect I had for him completely disintegrate.

"Marrying my mother and gaining the Hurdiss wealth wasn't enough for you, was it? Nobody in his right state of mind would sell a person to pay his debts. You are a sick bastard! A monster hiding in the likeness of an old man!"

Tiningnan niya lang ako at nagdilim ang paningin niya. "Do not test my patience, it's already wearing thin."

"Shakespeare was correct after all. Hell is empty because all the devils are here. You are one of them." I hissed.

Dinuro niya ako. "Will you shut your filthy mouth? Oo! I married your mother for money! You're a brat and you remind me of your father! Plinano kong pabagsakin kayo! Pero hindi kasama sa plano kong maghirap!"

Tinabig ko ang daliri niya. "You will rot in hell when you die. After all you've done to my family, you don't deserve to die an easy death."

He held my arms and tightened his grip. "Shut the hell up! Siguro naman ayaw mo ring mapunta na lang sa iba ang pinaghirapan ng mga magulang mo 'diba? At ayoko maghirap. Not again. Kaya makikisama ka at susundin mo ang lahat ng gusto ko."

His nails dug on my arm, making me grimace. "Kung hindi, alam mo na siguro na pareho tayo ng babagsakan. Sa putikan."

Basang-basa na ng luha ang mukha ko. Tinignan ko siya nang masama. Even when crying, I refuse to bow down to him. "You disgust me. I will never cooperate!" I spit on his face and that seemed to anger him even more. "Maghirap kung maghirap! Pero hindi ko hahayaang gamitin mo ako."

Hinatak niya ako at piniga ang balikat ko. I cried in pain but he did not let go. He leaned forward to whisper something in my ear. "I have my ways. Baka gusto mong hindi mo na ulit masilayang humihinga si Soling."

I kicked and thrashed to be free from his grip as horror settled itself in the pit of my stomach.

"Napaka sama mo!"

He laughed like the heartless villain that he really is. "Now that'll make you cooperate, won't it?"

I shut my eyes tightly as I let my heart sink in my rib cage. "I make fair deals, my dear stepdaughter. Do as I say and I will leave Soling alone."

I could almost imagine what I looked like. Crying with hands covering my face, sprawled on the tiled living room floor like a hopeless person.

In a ragged voice, I muttered. "I'll do it. But you have to promise thay you would never lay even a single finger on her."

He did not even tried to hide his devious grin when he spoke. "Deal."

"Now that wasn't so hard, right?" He taunted. Tiningnan niya ako ulit. "Siguraduhin mo lang na hindi ka gagawa ng isang bagay na hindi ko magugustuhan."

I nodded continuously, my sobs echoing on this gargantuan mansion. He snickered and left. I felt so weak and defeated.

I ran upstairs and locked myself in the confines of my room. I used to have everything, now I have nothing but a damaged soul and a scarred heart.

---

The following weeks passed by in a blur. I lost track of days and time as I sulked, knowing that soon I'll have to meet whoever the 'benefactor' is.

Alvido approached me one morning.

"Pick a nice dress and do your make up. I'll be waiting downstairs. Do not disobey me, Cassidy." I felt too weak to argue so I just nodded. I took a bath and chose a floral dress. When I was ready, he took his old sedan and we drove to somewhere.

All the others cars, even mine, were already sold the other week.

"Umayos ka. Today you'll meet the benefactor," seryoso niyang sabi. "Hindi mo gugustuhing ipahiya ako."

"Sino siya?" I asked out of sheer curiosity while my eyes were fixed on a crack on the windshield.

"You'll meet him soon enough." He parked in front of an unfamiliar building. We entered the building and proceeded to the top floor. My hearth thundered as the secretary led us to an office.

I took a deep breath as we came in.

There was a desk inside with a stack of papers above it, a laptop, several crumpled papers and a lamp shade. And seated in front of all that, on a swivel chair, with his head bent down on a magazine, was a familiar man.

"We're here." Alvido said to alert him. He looked up and the breath was stolen from my lungs when our eyes met.

I could almost hear the whole universe sympathizing with me as the two of us locked eyes.

"Welcome to my humble office, I am pleased to finally be graced by your wonderful presence." He said with a deep stare that made me hate him even more. "I have been told so much about you."

"Cut all the bullshit." Galit kong sigaw.

"Cassidy!" Marahas na hinaklit ni Alvido ang braso ko.

"Leave us!" Sigaw nito kay Alvido, at panandaliang hidi nakahuma ang huli.

"But—"

"I own her now. And if I remember it correctly, siya ang gusto kong makita at hindi ikaw. So leave." Madilim nitong sabi na pumutol sa kahit ano pa man ang balak sabihin ni Alvido.

Napalunok ito bago tumango tango. "As you wish, Mr. Monteverde. Have a pleasant day ahead."