Prologue

Steven could only watch as Spinel pulled one final time at his Gem, the sheer force of the pull launching the Pink skinned Gem backwards. Spinel landed on the ground and looked upwards, eyes widening in complete surprise as the Gem she'd just pulled out levitated and took the form of Pink. This made Spinel happy.

But it didn't even last for long. The moment the Gem's physical form changed to someone that Spinel didn't seem to recognize, her smile faltered. And then the Gem's physical form changed to what appeared to be a Pink version of Steven and the Gem settled on that form. Spinel turned and focused her attention on Steven, now completely confused. She was about to ask the teen what was going on. But then she noticed him. Noticed him laying on his stomach on the grass. He was desperately trying to reach for his Gem. And from the looks of it, his Gem was trying to do the same.

Spinel lunged fowards, rejuvenator in hand, and hit the Gem half of Steven with it. The Human half of Steven could only watch as his Gem half poofed from the impact. Spinel turned to face the Human side of Steven, a maniac smile on her face. A manic smile that faltered upon noticing that Steven's human half was staring at her with widened eyes. Uttering only a few words.

"What have you done?"

"I...I."

Spinel took a few steps backwards, now assessing the scene laid out in front of her. She could see the human half of Steven crawling over to his Gemstone. Picking it up and holding it close to him. Spinel turned her head. The rest of the Crystal Gems were still poofed.

She focused her attention back on the Human half of Steven, just now noticing a bright glow emanating from his hands. Both Spinel and the human half of Steven watched as the Gem the latter was holding levitated and again took the form of Pink Diamond. But, unlike the last two times this had happened, the Gem seemed to want to stay that way, confusing both the human half of Steven and Spinel. The two eyed each other. Similar expressions on their faces.

What was going on?