I walk briskly behind him and lock the door, sliding down it until my knees are tucked up against my chest. Anger floods through me, clouding my thoughts as I wish I had hit him twice as hard as Amara. I never want to see him again.

~~~ 2 weeks later ~~~

Amara's POV

Jess left town for a couple of weeks to stay with some family, and Matt has been staying with his parents since Jack's bombshell. I've barely heard from Matt since that night, whereas Jess and I have spoken every day. She's doing better, but she's still heartbroken. As is Matt. Nobody has heard from Jack since everything happened, he swooped in like a tornado to turn everyone's life upside down and then, just disappeared. Leaving a trail of destruction in his path.

I'm heading to Matt's parents later for 'drinks and some snacks'. The idea of drinking doesn't spark my amusement too much, I can't handle the hangovers. But he needs some company and I guess since I'm the only one he actually told his secret to, he wants that company to be me.

I hear my phone ring and Steve's name flashes up on my phone.

"Uncle Steve, hey!" I chirp as I put the phone on speaker to dry my damp hair.

"Amara, I just wanted to let you know that Carol is in hospital. We had a scare with the baby." he says solemnly, making my heart sink.

"What? Is she okay?" I choke, I can hear Carol's voice angrily in the background asking for the phone as her and Steve bicker.

"Carol you cant just-"

"Give me the god damn phone, Steve." she groans.

"Amara?" her voice comes through the line.

"Are you okay?" I ask worriedly.

"I'm fine, it was just a false alarm. I should be able to go home soon. Don't worry about it, okay? Steve just insisted on calling. God damn know it all." she chuckles weakly.

"Are you sure? Do you want me to drive down? I can cancel on Ma-"

"Don't you dare." she cuts me off, "I'm fine, Amara. Really, I am. Matt needs you and you need some time away from that boyfriend of yours." she jokes. Mason and I have been together so much recently, we really do need some time separately.

"Promise?" I sigh.

"I'm holding my pinky to the phone as we speak." she chuckles. "Go, have fun. I'll call you when I'm discharged." she tells me reassuringly.

"Alright.. I love you." I mutter sheepishly.

"I love you too, Amara."

I end the call and ponder for a second. Should I drive down there anyway? What if she needs me? I'm sure Matt wouldn't mind. Maybe I should just- my phone buzzes and I grab it immediately.

*Don't even think about it. I know you are. I'll call you later.* the text reads, scarily accurately making me laugh under my breath.

*Okay, okay. Call me if you need anything.* click, sent.

I put on some music to get myself in a better mood as I get ready. I don't bother getting dressed up, I apply minimal makeup and a decently cute outfit — it's not like anyone will see me besides Matt.