A Broken Promise

[Previously (since all these chapters currently link together)]

Nodding his head, Loki turned to Alex's sleeping form, his eyes softening immediately as they fell on the little girl.

Carefully kneeling down, he held her hand in his, stroking her soft palms as he smiled at her delicate face.
"It's alright, my princess." He smiled, gently moving her hair from her face. "I promised I'll keep you safe, and that's one promise I'll never break."

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

WARNING: This chapter will most probably contain some 'abuse' or 'violent behaviour' towards a child, if this bothers you, I suggest you avoid reading this specific chapter (don't worry though, it isn't graphic or anything, this is just if the idea upsets you). Sorry!

Alex

Groggily, Alex slowly opened her eyes, squinting at the sudden drastic change of lighting.

She tiredly let out a groan of discomfort; her arms and legs ached painfully, and her stomach felt as though it had been ripped right from her chest.
Not to mention the noise.

What was going on?

Wincing slightly, she slowly lifted her head, her tired eyes suddenly widening at the sight; there was chaos everywhere.

Debris was scattered all over the floor, the walls and furniture were battered and, worst of all, the same grotesque creatures form before had returned, their wrinkled skin and dark, cruel eyes as disgusting as ever.

Trembling nervously, she turned around, scanning for simply anyone.

Finally, she spotted Steve not far away, tossing his shield like a frisbee as it violently bounced from one side of the room to the other.

The blood pounding in her head, she opened her mouth, calling out with her croaky voice.

"Steve?"

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

Steve

Steve had been fighting for what felt like hours; his arms and legs were beginning to ache with exhaustion, and were tiring by the second.

What was worse was that the creatures didn't stop coming, one after the other, when one was slain, another would take its place, and eventually the heroes were going to be overrun.

It was as he was fighting, tossing his shield with ease across the room, that his ears pricked up, hearing a quiet voice behind him.

Despite her almost inaudible call, Steve still heard Alex, whipping his head around to spot the little girl, helplessly trying to prop herself up on the couch.

Hastily, Steve ran towards her, gently wrapping his arms around her, his heart flooding with relief. As they pulled apart, he cupped her face in his hands, his eyes intensely analysing her face for any new cuts or wounds.

"You okay?" He asked, his heart still pounding fiercely with adrenaline.

Cautiously, Alex nodded, her eyes occasionally flickering to the battle still raging on around them as creature after creature was shot down before they could reach them.

Steve released a sigh of relief; she was alright, everything was okay.

He was pulled out of his mini celebration by Alex's little voice.
"W-what's going on?" She asked, her lip wobbling slightly at the slightly gruesome view surrounding her.